Great fightback nets share of the points for Fed

BROUGHTY were back on Premier League duty on Saturday when they travelled across the Tay to Fife to face Glenrothes at the Warout Stadium.

With the home side undefeated in the league so far, a tough game was in prospect for the Fed.

Broughty kicked off and started the game well when good work from Dailly saw a ball delivered into the box in the 10th minute. Home ‘keeper Collier came to gather but spilled the ball but no attackers were on hand for the tap in.

It was a good spell for the visitors and Farquharson saw a shot at the back post hit the side-netting in 18 minutes.

The Glens were always a danger coming forward and their first opportunity of the game came in the 21st minute when Thomson’s shot from distance went over ‘keeper Cormack’s bar.

However, the homesters opened the scoring minutes later when, after a Martin effort was saved by Cormack, MURRAY picked up the rebound before firing high in the corner of the net from just inside the box.

Broughty equalised in 30 minutes when a good ball into the box was headed home by LUNAN.

The last chance of the first half resulted in the home side regaining the lead. After slack play by Broughty in midfield, the Glens quickly turned defence into attack. MARTIN found space and rolled the ball under Cormack from eight yards.

Half-time: Glenrothes 2, Broughty Athletic 1.

Broughty really should have been back on level terms when Lunan chased a long ball to win a flag kick. From the corner, Bertie found space at the back post but he could not direct his free header goalwards and the golden chance was lost.

The Fed were now right back in the game. Lunan had a great chance in 55 minutes after good link-up play, but his shot from the edge of the box went inches over home ‘keeper Collier’s bar.

The visitors came even closer five minutes later when, after a ball into the box from the right, Lunan headed goalwards. The ball was stopped on the line by the ‘keeper and it was eventually scrambled behind for a corner by a relieved Glens defender.

The next goal was always going to be crucial in the game and the home side saw a fine Simpson free kick well saved by Cormack in 67 minutes.

Only an excellent challenge by Ogilvie, showing all his experience, denied the strong running Martin a free run in on goal eight minutes later.

Broughty had a good five-minute spell of pressure in which they saw plenty of the ball before they eventually equalised 10 minutes from the end. Garrick played in FARQUHARSON who took a touch inside the box before firing into the net from 10 yards.

It was end-to-end stuff for the remaining 10 minutes with both sides looking for the winner and three points, before referee Pullar blew for full-time.

It was a game in which Broughty battled hard throughout and deserved a share of the points against a good Glenrothes team.

Manager’s comment

On a day when the Premier League table tightened considerably, the manner in which Broughty’s point was gained from the match in Glenrothes impressed manager Kenny Cameron.

He commented: “We are the first side to take anything from Glens at the Warout this season in the League and I thought my players showed a great spirit and determination to fight back for a point after going behind twice in the game.

“I felt over the piece neither side will have too many complaints about the result.”

Fed hit four in friendly

At a very windy Foxhall Park, Broughty Athletic won 4-1 in Monday’s friendly with Coupar Angus. There were two goals each from Graeme Dailly and Andy Torrance.

“A worthwhile workout despite the extremely blustery conditions,” stated Manager Kenny Cameron. “Those players who needed a bit of game time got 90 minutes tonight and the match provided the opportunity to play a trialist. Our thanks go to Coupar Angus for hosting the game.”