Great result as Fed dump Superleague Bonnyrigg

BROUGHTY travelled to New Dundas Park on Saturday to face Superleague high-fliers Bonnyrigg in the East of Scotland Cup.

Both sides were looking to bounce back from disappointing results the previous week.

The Fed kicked off and, despite losing early goals in games recently, they were first on the attack. Winter forced a good save from Rose ‘keeper Burgess who turned the ball over for a corner in the second minute of play. From the resultant set-piece MYLES bulleted his header home from close range.

It came as no surprise when Broughty doubled their lead in the 13th minute. WINTER played a neat one-two with Dailly and found space before crashing the ball home from fully 30 yards, giving the Rose ‘keeper no chance.

The visitors were dangerous every time they went up the pitch and good link-up play involving Daily, Winter and O’Leary saw a snap-shot from Raffell well saved by Burgess in the Bonnyrigg goal.

Fed were three in front in the 24th minute when Smith found space on the flank before delivering a fantastic ball into the box, headed home by DAILLY.

That seemed to spur the home side on and they created some half chances with high balls into the box, although never really troubling Broughty ‘keeper Cormack.

Bonnyrigg’s height was causing problems, especially from set-pieces where the home side looked a real threat.

The first half came to an end with Rose number seven Grady forcing a good save from Cormack to deny a goal from the edge of the box.

Half-time: Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 0, Broughty Athletic 3.

Bonnyrigg won a free kick in a central position 35 yards out. The ball was floated in by Morrice and found the head of striker Steel, although his effort was comfortably held by Cormack.

The hosts were pushing forward to try to get back into the game but Broughty defended brilliantly, dealing with the pressure.

A snap-shot from Paliczica from the edge of the box saw the effort go wide of the target in the 60th minute.

The home side were beginning to apply more pressure and substitute McCallum saw the shot again go wide of the target from distance.

With 15 minutes remaining the home side scored when MOFFAT volleyed home from just inside the box, giving Fed ‘keeper Cormack no chance.

Broughty, however, were resolute in their defending and were also looking a threat on the break. Smith broke free on the left and his cross-cum-shot was just missed by the onrushing O’Leary for the tap in.

The visitors completed the scoring with five minutes remaining with another excellent goal. Neat build-up play in their own half eventually saw O’Leary play the ball through to WINTER who ran from the halfway line to beat the ‘keeper to the ball and pass it into the empty net.

Referee Campbell, who had a decent game throughout, brought to an end an encounter in which Broughty turned in one of their best performances of the season and saw them advance to the next stage of the competition.

Tomorrow’s fixture

The Fed are on league duty tomorrow (Saturday) and will welcome St Andrews United to Whitton Park for a 2.30 p.m. kick-off.

Squad news

Broughty Athletic have signed attacking midfielder Ryan McKillen from Ferry Athletic Under-19s. At the same time Barry Murdoch has been released due to increased work committments.