Hero McCafferty is spot on!

editorial image

ON SATURDAY, Carnoustie Panmure were back at Laing Park, where they met Lothians club Blackburn United in the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup second round replay, the sides having drawn 2-2 in the first game.

Manager, Ian Gilzean was forced to make one change from the previous week, with Scott Robertson on from the start, replacing the injured Mike McIlravey. Bench spots were taken by Kevin Cumming, Mark Matthew, Shaun McLaren and Steven Cook.

The Gowfers started the first half and were immediately put under pressure when Roberts fouled Greg Crooks on the halfway line. Brown’s free kick into the Carnoustie box, was headed at goal by McQuillan, but he was ruled offside.

Three minutes later, Carnoustie had a great chance, when Gates got away down the left and fired in a fierce shot, only to see it rebound off the post. Then Hendry crossed into the Blackburn box, which Perera just failed to get on the end of.

Blackburn finally managed to put the Gowfers under a bit of pressure, when a great free kick put Simpson through on goal, but the visiting player fluffed his shot, and the chance was lost. Hendry then sent Gates away up the left, and the Carnoustie man sent in another great cross, which Milne got on the end of, but he was penalised for pushing.

In 21 minutes Robertson became the first player to be booked. Carnoustie, again went close, when Clark’s free kick was punched out, by the ‘keeper, only as far as Gates, on the edge of the box, but although he connected well, his shot went narrowly over the bar.

There was then a scare for Carnoustie when, from a Campbell corner, Brown put in a great header, only to see Narey clear off the line. Roberts became the second home player to be booked, in the 27th minute, for persistent fouling.

The Gowfers then came close to breaking the deadlock when Millar’s header, from a Milne cross, hit the bar, with the ‘keeper beaten. After having the best of the first half, they finally opened the scoring. Clark sent Gates off up the left, who fired in a hard, low cross, which MILNE drove home from close range.

Just on half-time, Robertson had a shot, from the edge of the box, blocked by Sneddon in front of goal.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Blackburn United 0.

Blackburn attacked from the whistle and Simpson’s shot was only just turned past by McCafferty. From the corner, by Campbell, McQuillan headed just wide of the post.

In the 49th minute Carnoustie went two up. A long ball out of defence by Hendry, was headed on, by Perera, to MILNE, who outpaced Brown and shot past the advancing Ross.

Three minutes later, a clash between Greg Crooks and Robertson, saw the Blackburn player booked and Robertson sent off for a second yellow card.

The visitors nearly got on the scoresheet when Tonner miskicked, and McQuillan was right through on goal, but McCafferty came out bravely and blocked at his feet.

In 55 minutes, Carnoustie went down to nine men. Millar pulled Callaghan down, in the box, and the referee had no option but to send him off and award Blackburn a penalty which McQUILLAN drove home.

Two minutes later, the Gowfers made a double substitution, with Cook and Cumming coming on for Narey and Perera.

With their two man advantage, Blackburn piled on the pressure and Campbell came close, from outside the box with a shot just over the bar. They then made a change with Callaghan being replaced by Garry Crooks.

In 69 minutes Tonner became the third home player to go into the referee’s notebook. Nine-man Carnoustie were still willing to attack and came close when Cumming had a shot stopped by Ross. Blackburn had a similar effort at the other end.

The visitors then had a sustained period of pressure, with, firstly, a shot over the bar from Greg Crooks, then Sneddon’s long-range drive, was well saved by McCafferty. Then the ‘keeper saved a Brown effort, at the second attempt.

Milne was booked, for kicking the ball away before. Carnoustie had a lucky escape, when, a fierce drive, from the corner of the box, from Stewart, came back off the bar.

All the pressure from Blackburn eventually paid off, and in the 87th minute, a good drive from McQuillan, was turned past the post by McCafferty. Campbell took the corner, from which McMILLAN got a free header, to equalise from close range. Blackburn kept up the pressure, and only a great save from McCafferty, with his legs, stopped them scoring a third.

Full-time: Carnoustie Panmure 2, Blackburn United 2.

The game moved in to a penalty shoot-out to decide the winner. The Gowfers won the toss and elected to go first. Gates, Milne, Tonner, Cumming and Clark all scored with their kicks, while Brown, Crooks, McQuillan and Sneddon did likewise for the visitors.

McCafferty threw himself to his right to make a great save from McMillan’s kick and the Gowfers progressed to the third round.

Carnoustie Panmure: McCafferty, Narey (Cook 57), Hendry, Millar, Tonner, Roberts, Robertson, Clark, Perera (Cumming 57), Milne, Gates. Substitutes unused; Matthew and McLaren.

Blackburn United: Ross, Spence, Lee Meekison, Sneddon, Brown, Greg Crooks (McMillan 70), Simpson, Callaghan (Garry Crooks 60), Wright (Stewart 70), McQuillan, Campbell

Referee: Mr Mike Roncone.

Match Ball sponsor: Angus Trophy Centre, Carnoustie.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers are back on the hunt for league points, when they travel to Olivebank Stadium to meet Musselburgh Athletic in the ACA Sports East Super League.

When the pair last met, in 2009, the Gowfers were on the end of a 3-1 defeat, so are looking to do better this time round. Kick-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. Supporters’ bus leaves Stag’s Head at 11 a.m.