Home cup success for Gowfers

editorial image

Carnoustie Panmure 3, Edinburgh United 1

Panmure welcomed East South League side Edinburgh United to Laing Park on Saturday in the first round of the Scottish Junior Cup.

Panmure players - Graeme Dailly, Danny Millar and Kevin Milne - celebrate as an effort by Barry Myles, who is out of shot, ends up in the net for the homesters' opening goal.

Panmure players - Graeme Dailly, Danny Millar and Kevin Milne - celebrate as an effort by Barry Myles, who is out of shot, ends up in the net for the homesters' opening goal.

Gowfers’ boss Alan McSkimming brought Scott Robertson and John Roberts back into the starting 11 with bench spots going to M. Scott, Perera, Bews, Allardyce and Ferrie.

Carnoustie kicked off, but lost possesion and Hunter won a corner off Webster which Quinn took, but Millar headed clear. McVey then made a good run up the right, but his cross was too strong and went out the far side.

A long ball up the park by Dick was chased by Hunter, but Macpherson came out of his box to clear. Carnoustie then gave away another corner, this time off Millar, but Quinn’s kick was mopped up by Cook.

The Gowfers eventually got up the park and Cook fired a long ball into United’s box, but a foul was awarded for a push by Milne. Robertson then had a go from distance, but it was straight at the ‘keeper.

The visitors attacked again and McMillan picked up a loose ball and tried a shot from 30 yards, but it was well wide. Carnoustie won a corner off Darling and Webster’s kick was played back to him by McIlravey, but he blasted the ball well over the bar.

Then a free kick on the left, again taken by Webster, was headed past by Millar.

At the other end, Quinn broke down the right, but Cook raced back and made a good tackle to block his shot.

The homesters broke the deadlock in 19 minutes. Dailly set McIlravey off up the right and he hit a great shot which the ‘keeper turned round the post. Webster’s corner found MYLES at the near post and he headed strongly into the far corner of the net.

The Angus men were gradually getting on top and kept the pressure on, but McIlravey’s ball through to Milne found him in an offside position.

In 33 minutes Hunter required treatment after a clash with Millar on the halfway line, but he was able to carry on. Roberts then fed a fine ball through to Milne, but once again he was offside.

With 38 minutes played, Hunter decided he could not carry on and was replaced by Smith. Dailly then had a great chance to increase Carnoustie’s lead when he burst through into United’s box, but he shot straight at the ‘keeper. The same player was then fouled on the corner of the box by Gordon, but Webster’s free kick was too high.

Just on half-time, United won a corner off Cook, but Quinn wasted it when he fired it too strongly across the box and it went out the far side for a throw in.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Edinburgh United 0.

The second half started off quietly with the Gowfers on top, but it came to life in 51 minutes when a Webster corner on the right was just nicked off Millar’s head, by the ‘keeper who put it out for a throw at the far side.

Myles took a long throw and Dick handled in the box for a penalty which WEBSTER blasted home to put the Gowfers two up. Smith was also booked for dissent.

Fisher then slipped a through ball to McMillan, but he shot well wide from 15 yards and after Roberts fouled C. Inglis, 30 yards out, Fisher’s kick was easily dealt with by Macpherson.

In 61 minutes Carnoustie made their first change when Dailly was replaced by Perera and he was quickly in the thick of things. A Webster cross was dropped by the ‘keeper under pressure from the Gowfer’s player but Dick was on hand to clear the loose ball. ‘Keeper Inglis was booked for protesting too strongly.

In 70 minutes Carnoustie were caught napping when a cross from the left was met at the near post by FAIRNIE and he glided it past Macpherson.

Webster was replaced by M. Scott in 71 minutes and three minutes later Darling fouled McIilravey and Fisher was booked for dissent.

Carnoustie restored their two-goal lead in 76 minutes when a long ball into the United box was controlled by MILNE and he side-stepped Dick and tucked the ball past the ‘keeper from 15 yards.

Robertson then gave United a chance to get back in when he fouled Gordon just outside the box, but the wall did its job when it blocked Fisher’s free kick.

A corner off Myles was taken by Quinn but was cleared by Millar to M. Scott and he ran half the length of the park, but his low cross was hit past by McIlravey. A Quinn drive from outside the box was blocked by Myles and United had loud appeals for a penalty turned down by the referee. This time Quinn was booked for protesting too strongly.

A sweeping move involving the Gowfer’s front line looked promising, but M. Scott’s shot was blocked for a fruitless corner and just on the whistle Dick was booked for dissent.


Carnoustie Panmure: Macpherson, Cook, Myles, Millar, Robertson, Roberts, Webster (M. Scott 71), L. Scott, Dailly (Perera 61), Milne, McIlravey. Substitutes not used: Bews, Allardyce (gk) and Ferrie (gk).

Edinburgh United: S. Inglis, McVey, Darling, Gordon, Dick, C. Inglis (Mitchell 66), McMillan, Fairnie, Hunter (Smith 38), Quinn, Fisher. Substitutes not used: Mack, Heggie and Combe

Referee: Mr Michael McIlvenny, Dundee.

Match ball sponsor: Angus Trophy Centre.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers are back on the hunt for league points when Newtongrange Star come calling.

The Lothians club currently top the McBookie.com East Superleague with 19 points and have scored 22 goals, with the loss of only six. They are likely to provide the home side with their stiffest test yet in this season’s campaign. The sides last met at Laing Park in March, 2009, when both were in the Premier League and the ‘Star’ took home all three points after a 3-1 win. Kick-off is scheduled for 2.30 p.m.