It’s high fives all round for Lichties

Paul McManus nets Arbroath's opening goal
Paul McManus nets Arbroath's opening goal

Arbroath travelled down to Cumbernauld on Saturday, which for Curriculum Manager of Cumbernauld College Todd Lumsden, it must have felt like a home game as he took control of affairs in the absence of boss Allan Moore, who was attending a long-standing family engagement.

The Lichties were hoping to take advantage, knowing Albion Rovers, who had snuck to the top of the league last weekend, would be up against it taking on Berwick Rangers in the other big league fixture of the weekend.

Carreiro celebrates after scoring

Carreiro celebrates after scoring

Adam Hunter was the significant name missing from the teamsheet as the former Ayr midfielder has shown the ball-winning qualities that perhaps Arbroath missed at the start of last season.

Although the void he left in midfield was taken up by the impressive on-loan Dundee player Dylan Carreiro whose fine substitute display in the final 45 minutes against East Fife made him the obvious choice to replace Hunter. Striker Simon Murray also made his first league start coming in for Kevin Buchan.

Like much of the first half the play and possession swung back and forth, but Clyde increased the pressure as they had two close efforts from corner kicks before Andrew Gibson curled a 20 yard free-kick over the wall only to see it hit the post - although David Crawford looked to have his net covered.

Keiran Stewart played a quick one two with Carreiro before picking up the pace but defender Brian McQueen bodychecked him just on the half way line and referee Mike Taylor showed him yellow.

Arbroath picked up the pace and opened the scoring in 25 minutes. Murray found Scott McBride on the wing and he crossed to Paul McManus, who bulleted a header from seven yards out past Barclay in the Clyde goal.

As the clock hit the 27th minute shock and surprise toook hold of both sets of players and supporters as Clyde were reduced to 10 men.

A Clyde corner was broken down and Arbroath captain Kevin Nicoll intercepted a bad pass, but before Nicoll could do anything McQueen caught him. Referee Taylor waited for a break in play to show him a second yellow, followed by red, in front of the Clyde bench.

Clyde battled back and after Nicoll was booked for a foul on Scott Ferguson on the edge of the Arbroath box, the same player got up and curled the free-kick into the top left hand corner leaving Crawford helpless.

The Lichties were soon back in front again. Nicoll found Bobby Linn on the wing and his clever pass wounds its way to Mark Whatley. Murray took a touch from a cross then over his shoulder to Scott McBride, who smashed in on the half volley.

Credit to the 10 men of Clyde as they refused to give in and right on the stroke of half-time a cross took advantage of the sleepy Arbroath defenders and Ferguson headed the ball into the net.

Half time: Clyde 2, Arbroath 2.

Arbroath needed someone to make an impact after the break - step forward Carreiro.

In 68 minutes, he picked up the ball from Craig Johnstone before a quick exchange of passes between Whatley and Stewart found him 20 yards out. As two defenders closed in he had a quick look up and unleashed a right-foot shot high and past the helpless keeper before running towards the Arbroath fans and then being leapt on by nearly every one of his team-mates as he scored his first competitive goal.

He didn’t have to wait long for his second.

Linn and Whatley again combined passes before Whatley found Carreiro, who fired home from similar range but this time his shot was low before showing off his dancing moves in front of the ecstatic Arbroath fans.

It was only to get better as Arbroath scored their fifth away goal, a feat they hadn’t achieved since March 2011.

Linn got the ball rolling as he found Carreiro, who ran towards goal before gliding an inviting cross into the box, where at the back post Simon Murray was running in and with an ease of calm and with great technical skill smashed a right-foot volley past Barclay before performing the ‘crazy chicken’, running towards a young Lichtie fan celebrating his birthday and landing him a jubilant high five.