Late treble sees Gowfers through in cup tie

CARNOUSTIE Panmure had a brief rest from trying to collect league points on Saturday when they travelled to Lochside Park, Bridge of Don, to meet North Super League side Hermes in the North/Tayside Inter-Region Cup sponsored by GA Engineering.

The visitors started the game and were immediately awarded a free kick inside their own half. However, a poor effort by Tonner was picked up by Courage and taken forward, but his shot went right across the goal and out.

A late tackle on McIlravey by Courage gave Carnoustie a free-kick 35 yards out but Clark’s kick was headed strongly up the park by McKenzie.

In 17 minutes Gowfers were given a scare when Madle was put through by Hamilton but his drive across goal struck the foot of the post and went out.

It was then Carnoustie’s turn to have a go when they forced their way upfield and McIlravey, who had been causing the Hermes defence problems, shot from the edge of the box but it was straight at the keeper.

In 24 minutes the visitors again came close after Madle was booked for a late tackle on Clark, but Tonner’s kick was punched clear by Sweeney to avert the danger. Two minutes later, Carnoustie’s Robertson was booked for a foul on Cruikshank.

Back came the Super League side with a cross by Hamilton which was headed goalwards by S. Watson but bounced off Carnoustie’s Watson and into McCaffertys welcoming arms.

For the visitors, C. Watson tried a long-range effort but it went wide. He then had a great chance when he was put through by McCafferty’s long kick, but his shot was too close to the ‘keeper who held it well.

As the clock ticked down to half-time, Courage broke through the Carnoustie defence but McCafferty was alert to the danger and was out smartly to block his effort.

Half-time: Hermes 0, Carnoustie Panmure 0.

The first attack of the second half came from the home team when they forced a corner on the right. The kick, taken by Hamilton, was headed by Madle but it was well wide of the post.

The Gowfers were then awarded a free 40 yards out, but when Robertson floated the ball into the box Clark was offside. Watson then had a good chance for the home team from a lay off by Wyness, but shot weakly at McCafferty. The homesters again put pressure on Carnoustie when Clark fouled Hamilton on the edge of the box, but Edmond’s kick was blocked by the defensive wall and cleared up the park by Clark.

Hermes fought their way forward again and Madle laid on a chance for Edmond but he blasted the ball over from 15 yards. Carnoustie then won a corner off Winton, but Clark’s kick was headed over by Millar.

The visitors kept up the pressure and a cross from McIlravey was met by C. Watson but his header was easily held by Sweeney. In 62 minutes Cook, who had taken a heavy knock, was replaced by Narey. Hermes then came close when a corner, taken by Hamilton was headed narrowly past by Madle.

In 73 minutes Edmond was replaced by Macklin. A minute later McILRAVEY picked up the ball just inside the Hermes half and raced into the box to finish with a low drive at Sweeney’s left-hand post to break the deadlock.

Two minutes later the home team’s Watson required lengthy treatment for a head knock but managed to play on.

Carnoustie went further ahead in 77 minutes when a throw by Narey was knocked on by Perera to C. WATSON, who chested the ball down, swivelled and fired home from close range.

The homesters kept trying and won a corner on the right which Hamilton took, but S. Watson was penalised for pushing in the box and the chance was lost.

Five minutes from the end the Gowfers sealed victory when McIlraveys ball was miskicked by Hermes’ Watson and ROBERTS fired past Sweeney from close in. McIlravey almost made it four when he burst through, but Sweeney did well to come out and block at his feet.

In a towsy last minute, Millar and Roberts for Carnoustie, and Wyness for Hermes, were yellow carded.


Hermes: Sweeney, Cruikshank, Middleton, Winton, McKenzie, S. Watson, Wyness, Hamilton, Edmond (Macklin 73), Madle, Courage. Substitutes not used: Havlin, K. Robertson, Cairns, Smith, McKendrick and Ritchie (GK).

Carnoustie Panmure: McCafferty, Cook (Narey 62), Hendry, Robertson, Millar, Tonner, McIlravey, Clark, C. Watson, Roberts, Perera. Substitutes not used: Ferrie (GK).

Tomorrow’s match.

Tomorrow (Saturday) the Gowfers are back on the hunt for league points when they play host to St Andrews United in the ACA Sports East Super League. The match gets underway at 2.30 p.m.