League ‘new boys’ complete double

ON SATURDAY, Carnoustie Panmure were back on the road, heading this time for Beechwood Park, to meet this season’s ‘new boys’ Sauchie Juniors in the McBookie.com East Superleague.

For the game, manager Ian Gilzean was forced into making one change to the side that lost to League champions Bonnyrigg Rose the previous week. With keeper Chris Macpherson sent off against Rose and facing a two game suspension, back-up keeper Paul Findlay was between the sticks, with bench spots going to Steven Cook, Graeme Dailly and Marc Scott.

Before the match got underway a minute’s silence was observed in memory of John Whyte, a former goalkeeper of the host club who had passed away during the week.

Sauchie kicked off playing down the slope and Hendrie played the ball forward for Cummings to chase, but Narey got to it first and cleared the danger. The ball fell to Tully who tried to clear it, but it hit L. Scott on the head and the game was stopped for a few moments to give him time to recover.

In three minutes a long ball through from Wilson found Cummings and he drilled it past Findlay, but the referee blew for offside and the goal didn’t stand. From Findlay’s free kick the ball reached McIlravey who passed it on to Perera, but he was also flagged offside.

Five minutes later Neave made a good run up the left, took the ball almost to the bye-line, then sent in a good cross, but Halliwell rose to take it cleanly. Then Roberts was fouled by Hendrie midway inside the Gowfers’ half and Robertson sent his free kick deep into the Sauchie half, but Tully got to the ball before any visiting player.

In 13 minutes Narey was told to leave the field for treatment to a cut on his knee and two minutes later Ferguson played the ball through for Perera to chase, but again Tully got there first to clear.

Four minutes later, Cummings ran on to a through ball from Gardiner, firing the ball just wide, but again the offside flag was up. A minute later the home side did open their account when HENDRIE ran on to a through ball from Wilson, went past Millar and Robertson and fired it past Findlay, giving the keeper no chance.

The homesters had their tails up and two minutes later Morgan tried a long-range shot from all of 40 yards, but it went high over the bar. In 22 minutes Roberts sent a great 50-yard crossfield ball to McIlravey who took it forward and fired in a shot, but Halliwell had no trouble saving.

They had another great chance moments later when Wilson fed a good ball through to Cummings, who should really have scored, but his shot was weak and Findlay saved easily.

In 27 minutes, from a Gowfers’ corner, King cleared it out to Cummings who picked out Carroll with a good cross and he took it forward to the edge of the box and fired in a low shot, but put it narrowly past the left-hand upright. Play surged to the other end where the home side were awarded a free kick and Perera was booked for what the referee said was a deliberate hand ball.

The free kick was sent to the other end and Cummings cross was turned out for a corner by Ferguson. Wilson took the kick and found the unmarked Cummings, but he headed well wide of the post.

In 39 minutes Clark set off on a 50-yard run beating three men on the way, but then tried to do too much and lost the ball to Morgan who cleared to Cummings and he won a corner off Ferguson. Cummings took the kick which was cleared by Narey, but it fell to Hendrie who hammered it back in and out behind.

The referee overuled his assistant, giving another corner to the home side, much to the annoyance of the Carnoustie players, but when Cummings kick came over, Roberts was on hand to clear it away.

Half-time: Sauchie Juniors 1, Carnoustie Panmure 0.

The Gowfers got the second half under way and from a throw-in, Sauchie’s Cummings tried a long-range shot which went high over the bar. In 48 minutes L. Scott was tripped by Purdie, but Ferguson put too much power behind his kick and it went straight out behind for a goal-kick.

In 52 minutes the home side doubled their tally when Carroll played the ball into a crowded goal-mouth, where, with several players round him, Findlay failed to catch it and CUMMINGS knocked it home from close range. Next minute Carroll became the first home player to be booked for a foul on Clark.

In 57 minutes Perera went off to be replaced by M. Scott and a minute later Carnoustie put themselves under pressure when Millar passed the ball back to Findlay, but the ‘keeper failed to control it and as it ran towards his goal he could only push it out for a corner which was taken by Cummings and put out for a second by Narey. Again Cummings took the kick and this time he found the unmarked PURDIE, who headed it powerfully into the net.

In 62 minutes Tully became the second home player to be booked for a foul on Clark and a minute later Burns was also shown yellow for bringing down McIlravey.

Four minutes later, both sides made changes with Comrie taking over from Morgan and Cook coming on for Narey. Within seconds of coming on Cook came to Carnoustie’s rescue, getting back to block a shot from Gardiner.

In 71 minutes the home side made another change with Purdie making way for Love. Before play restarted Hendrie and Ferguson were booked after a confrontation between the two. Cook sent M. Scott away on a good run and he sent in deep cross, but no Gowfers’ player was there to take advantage.

In 77 minutes the Gowfers made their third change with Dailly replacing L. Scott and three minutes later Sauchie made their final change with Prenderleith replacing Hendrie. From a Carnoustie corner, Halliwell cleared the ball and play surged down to the other end where Gardiner won a corner off Cook and Wilson’s kick found Cummings at the far side of the box, but he fired his shot high over the top.

Right on the whistle Cummings sent a good ball through to LOVE who ran on and drove the ball past Findlay to finish off a thoroughly miserable afternoon for the Gowfers.

Sauchie Juniors: Halliwell, Morgan (Comrie 65), Burns, King, Tully, Purdie (Love 71), Wilson, Carroll, Hendrie (Plenderleith 80), Cummings, Gardiner. Substitutes not used: McMillan and Syme.

Carnoustie Panmure: Findlay, Narey (Cook 65), Ferguson, Millar, Robertson, Roberts, McIlravey, L. Scott (Dailly 77), Perera (M. Scott 57), Clark, Neave. All substitutes used.

Referee: Mr Mark McHendry, Dalgety Bay.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow, Saturday, the Gowfers get a brief respite from trying to collect league points when they play host to New Elgin in the North/Tayside Inter-Region Cup, sponsored by G.A. Engineering.

Although this will be New Elgin’s first visit to Laing Park it will not be their first time in Carnoustie as they visited Westfield Park back in 2002 for a Scottish Cup second round replay which the Gowfers won 5-1.

The visitors currently top the North Region’s PMAC Group First Division with 16 wins from their 18 games played, scoring 54 goals and conceding 24 so they look as if they will be another tough nut to crack and the Gowfers will have to be at their very best if they are to progress to the next round. The match, which is played to a finish, will get under way at 2.30 p.m.

Results: McBookie.com East Superleague – Camelon 2, Hill of Beath 1; Kelty Hearts 1, Broxburn Athletic 1; Linlithgow Rose 3, Bo’ness United 2; Lochee United 2, Bonnyrigg Rose 4; Sauchie Juniors 4, Carnoustie Panmure 0; St Andrews United 0, Musselburgh Athletic 2.

P W L D F A Pts

Linlithgow Rose 16 15 0 1 45 12 46

Bonnyrigg Rose 13 7 4 2 34 27 23

Bo’ness United 12 6 4 2 25 22 20

Broxburn Athletic 16 6 8 2 22 21 20

Sauchie Juniors 15 5 5 5 22 21 20

Camelon 11 6 5 0 23 22 18

Musselburgh Athletic 15 4 9 2 21 25 14

Hill of Beath 12 4 6 2 18 24 14

Carnoustie Panmure 12 4 7 1 18 30 13

Kelty Hearts 9 3 3 3 18 12 12

St Andrews United 15 3 10 2 18 43 11

Lochee United 8 2 4 2 14 19 8