McIlravey is Gowfers’ hat-trick hero


Carnoustie Panmure 5,

Armadale Thistle 2



After the call-off against Lochee United, the Gowfers welcomed Armadale Thistle to Laing Park for a East Superleague match.

Manager Alan McSkimming brought brothers Liam and Marc Scott and Graeme Dailly into the starting 11 with bench spots going to Steven Narey, Josh Perera, Rori Bews, Kevin Webster and keeper Chris McPherson.

Armadale had the first bit of pressure when they forced a corner off Robertson but the kick from Macleod was fired over the top by Milton. Roberts then fed a great ball through to McIlravey who outpaced Morrison into the box, but his shot went right across the goal and out.

The visitors had another chance when a cross by Milton set up S. Brown, but Ferrie saved his effort with his feet at the bottom of the post. Cook then won a corner off Rarity and the kick by M. Scott was headed down to L. Scott, but he hit his shot past the post.



The Gowfers were hit by a penalty in 13 minutes. A goalmouth melee resulted in the award to Armadale which was hotly disputed by Carnoustie and resulted in Dailly being booked. The kick was taken by Feeney and Ferrie made a great save to turn his powerfully hit shot round the post for a fruitless corner.

A few minutes later a longe range effort by G. Brown was deflected off Buggins for a corner, but again this proved fruitless. Macleod then forced another corner off Robertson, but Myles was on hand to clear Milton’s kick.

At the other end, Roberts picked up a loose ball 30 yards out, but he shot narrowly past. Carnoustie went behind in 24 minutes when a long punt by ‘keeper Walker carried over the Gowfers’ defence and FEENEY lobbed the ball over the outrushing Ferrie.

Taylor then fouled L. Scott 30 yards out but the free-kick by M. Scott was just too high.



Three minutes later Carnoustie went further behind when S. Brown played the ball into BONNAR, who looked offside, and he drove it home past Ferrie from close range.

The homesters piled on the pressure and forced a corner off Mackay, but M. Scott’s kick carried out on the wind. They got another corner off Morrison, but Myles headed M. Scott’s kick past.

However, the pressure finally paid off in 41 minutes. Milton was booked for a foul on Roberts 35 yards out and the kick by L. Scott was punched out by Walker only as far as McILRAVEY, on the edge of the box, and he drilled it past the Armadale goalkeeper and into the net.

They almost grabbed a second just on the break when Dailly played a great ball to Cook, but his low cross was fired over by M. Scott.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Armadale Thistle 2.

Although Carnoustie had the wind in their favour in the second half, it was Armadale who had the first attack, initiated by a free kick from the left by Macleod. However, Ferrie managed to get a fist to the ball and Robertson completed the clearance. Cook then almost put L. Scott through, but the cross was too strong.

In 55 minutes the Gowfers got back on level terms. Cook played a great ball into McILRAVEY and he hooked it high into the net from 15 yards giving Walker no chance. A minute later Milton was replaced by Wilson.

Cook then hammered a great ball across the visitors’ box, but there were no takers. A great shot by Buggins from 30 yards was touched over by Walker and the corner, taken by McIlravey, was headed out by Taylor only as far as Robertson, but his shot was just past.

Carnoustie finally went ahead when Roberts played the ball to Cook and he fired it into the six yard box where it went in off MORRISON.

A minute later the homester scored again when MYLES fired a great low drive past Walker from 30 yards.

In 70 minutes MacKay was booked for dissent and a minute later Taylor and S. Brown were replaced by Dalrymple and Rodger.

Rodger almost made his mark straight away by firing in a cross for Feeney, but the Armadale man had strayed offside. Dailly was fouled on the right by Rarity and L. Scott’s kick was cleared out to Wilson who was fouled by Robertson and the Gowfers’ man went into the book.

Myles followed him in 80 minutes for a foul on Milton and the resultant kick, taken by Macleod, was headed narrowly past by Wilson.

In 82 minutes Dailly was replaced by Perera and a minute later Macleod had to go off with a leg knock reducing Armadale to 10 men. Just on full time the Gowfers got a fifth when Cook played a ball through to McILRAVEY and he fired low past Walker into the corner of the net for his hat-trick.


Carnoustie Panmure : Ferrie, Myles, Buggins, Millar, Robertson, Roberts, Cook, L. Scott, Dailly (Perera 82), McIlravey, M. Scott. Substitutes not used: Narey, Bews, Webster, McPherson (GK).

Armadale Thistle: Walker, G. Brown, Rarity, MacKay, Morrison, Taylor (Dalrymple 71), Macleod, Bonnar, Feeney, S. Brown (Rodger 71), Milton (Wilson 56). Substitutes not used – Patrick, Valentine.

Referee – Mr Scott Leslie, Brechin.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers are back on the road, heading for Thomson Park in an attempt to get their recently postponed G.A. Engineering Cup tie against Lochee United, settled. The tie is scheduled to get under way at the slightly earlier time of 1.30 p.m. East Superleague

P W L D F A Pts

Bonnyrigg Rose 14 9 1 4 32 12 31

Newtongrange Star 13 10 2 1 30 13 31

Linlithgow Rose 10 9 0 1 28 10 28

Broxburn Athletic 16 8 5 3 23 28 27

Bo’ness United 11 8 3 0 27 13 24

Camelon Juniors 12 7 2 3 21 10 24

Musselburgh Athletic 14 6 6 2 24 24 20

Sauchie Juniors 12 6 6 0 25 17 18

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 12 5 4 3 26 20 18

Carnoustie Panmure 12 5 6 1 22 25 16

Ballingry Rovers 15 4 9 2 17 38 14

Lochee United 13 4 8 1 24 31 13

Armadale Thistle 15 3 10 2 18 25 11

Kelty Hearts 15 1 8 6 18 33 9

St Andrews United 12 1 8 3 15 30 6

Tayport 12 1 9 2 10 28 5