Mike at the double to ease pressure

Mike netted two goals for Gowfers
Mike netted two goals for Gowfers

CarnoustiePanmure 2, Fauldhouse United 1.

Last Saturday, Carnoustie Panmure, after the disappointment of a postponed match the previous week, were back in action, playing host to Superleague newboys Fauldhouse United who gained promotion from the Premier League at the end of last season.

For the tie, manager Alan McSkimming was still without Liam Scott, who has a long-term shoulder injury and Roddy Black who was serving the last of his four game suspension.

Right from the off the Gowfers had the best of the play and Cumming saw his shot cannon off Murphy’s right-hand post after only five minutes and just a few minutes later the keeper brought off a good save from a Roberts’ shot.

The visitors were making the odd foray into the Gowfer’s half with J. Robertson floating in some good crosses, but the Gowfers defence stood firm and dealt with them easily.

In 15 minutes, United had a chance to open their account, after a Donnelly free-kick was punched clear by Ferrie and fell to S. Scott on the edge of the box, who sent it back in, but it smacked off the front of the bar and was cleared away by Kohler.

The Gowfers were having the best of things and took the lead on 28 minutes, when, following some good work up the left, Kohler sent a great cross to the back post and Michael MCILRAVEY was there to blast it home from six yards.

In 38 minutes, it should really have been two, after Cumming made a run into the box and was chopped down, with the referee immediately pointing to the spot.

Simpson took the kick, but wasted the chance by blasting the ball high over the top. At this moment Carnoustie had to make their first change as Cumming was unable to continue and was replaced by Birmingham.

Just four minutes later the Gowfers did double their lead when MCILRAVEY ran on to a loose ball, drove forward, then hammered it past Murphy into the back of the net, giving the keeper no chance.

Half-time: CarnoustiePanmure 2, Fauldhouse United 0.

From the restart, the Gowfers continued to have the best of the paly and went close to adding to their tally when, with an hour on the watch, S. Robertson sent a header flashing narrowly over the top.

With 75 minutes played, Fauldhouse were reduced to ten men after Ross went in on Ferrie with a high boot and received a yellow card to add to the one he had collected before the break and he was off.

In 81 minutes, the visitors reduced the leeway when a bit of slackness in the Gowfer’s defence allowed WILKINS to run on to a long through-ball and slide it past the on-rushing Ferrie.

Five minutes later the visitors had the ball in the net, but the goal was ruled out by the referee for deliberate hand-ball and, in the aftermath of this correct decision, both Fallon and Wilkins were shown straight red cards for comments made to the match official, leaving the visitors to soldier on with just eight men.

This they did, and just four minutes later the referee brought the tie to a close and the Gowfers had recorded a much-needed win, their first since match-day one against Lochee United.

Teams: Carnoustie Panmure – Ferrie, Cook, Kohler, Millar, S. Robertson, Kenneth, McIlravey, Roberts, Bews, Cumming, Simpson. Substitutes – M. Scott, Buggins, Neath, Birmingham, Macpherson (GK).

Fauldhouse United: Murphy, Browne, Ramsay, Ross, Campbell, S. Scott, Donnelly, Wilkins, J. Robertson, Love, Fallon. Substitute – Shanks.

Tomorrow, Saturday, the Gowfers are back on the road, heading this time for Prestonfield and a meeting with third-placed Linlithgow Rose in the McBookie.com East Superleague. This has not been a happy hunting ground for the Gowfers, who have lost on all of their last seven visits, although they did manage a 1-1 draw on their very first one back on March 22, 2003.

The Lothian’s club are once again flying high, having won five and drawn one of their seven games played so far this season and Alan McSkimming’s men will have to be at their very best if they are to take anything from this encounter. Kick-off will again be at 2.30 p.m.

Results: Ballingry Rovers 0, Linlithgow Rose 3; Penicuik Athletic 5, Armadale Thistle 4; Newtongrange Star 1, Bonnyrigg Rose 1; Kelty Hearts 4, Musselburgh Athletic 1; Carnoustie Panmure 2, Fauldhouse United 1; Camelon Juniors 3, Lochee United 2; Bo’ness United 1, Hill of Beath Hawthorn 2; Sauchie Juniors 2, Broxburn Athletic 2.

McBookie.com East Superleague

P W D L F A Pt

Kelty Hearts 8 7 1 0 29 8 22

Newtongrange Star 9 6 3 0 21 7 21

Linlithgow Rose 7 5 1 1 18 8 16

Bo’ness United 8 4 2 2 21 10 14

Musselburgh Athletic 9 4 2 3 15 15 14

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 8 3 2 3 16 14 11

Penicuik Athletic 8 3 2 3 13 17 11

Bonnyrigg Rose 8 3 1 4 15 14 10

Broxburn Athletic 9 2 4 3 11 14 10

Ballingry Rovers 8 3 1 4 9 15 10

Camelon Juniors 9 2 3 4 12 17 9

Carnoustie Panmure 9 2 2 5 10 19 8

Sauchie Juniors 8 2 2 4 7 19 8

Fauldhouse United 10 1 4 5 16 20 7

Lochee United 8 2 1 5 14 24 7

Armadale Thistle 8 1 3 4 10 16 6