Missed chances cost Gowfers dear in Saturday’s clash

editorial image

AFTER having had no competitive action since November 26 due to bad weather and the festive break, Carnoustie Panmure on Saturday played host to Lochee United, in the ACA Sports East Super League.

Manager Ian Gilzean had virtually a full squad to select from and made two changes to the side that lost to St Andrews United in that their game, with Kev Cumming and new signing Calum Watson both on from the start.

Robert Hendry and Josh Perera dropped to the bench where they joined Steven Narey, John Tonner, Mike McIlravey and Mark Matthew.

The visitors kicked off, but the Gowfers were first to create a chance, when a 25-yard drive by Milne was turned round the post by Vanderdyle for a corner. Robertson was close with a header from Clark’s corner kick.

In seven minutes Lochee’s Hay was first to be booked, for a foul on Gates. Gates took the kick himself and, although he got it over the defensive wall, it went straight into the ‘keeper’s hands.

A clever back-heel by Watson sent Gates down the left and he sent in a great cross, but Cumming blasted the chance over the bar. Lochee finally put a bit of pressure on Carnoustie and forced a corner, but Robertson’s kick was well cleared by Clark. Four minutes later, the Gowfers had a great chance to open the scoring when Gates was brought down in the box by Lawson.

Gates took the spot kick but the ‘keeper made a great save, diving to his right to block the ball up in the air, and somehow managing to palm it away while lying on the ground before the home players could get there.

Millar then came close from a corner, but his header was wide, and Milne was unlucky when his cross from the right hit the top of the bar and went behind.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 0, Lochee United 0.

In 56 minutes, just after Carnoustie had what would have been a softish penalty claim, denied Lochee were awarded one of their own, when after a foul on Cargill, Lawson crossed into the box. HAY fired the ball past McCafferty.

Five minutes later, Carnoustie’s Robertson became the second player to be booked following a foul on Lawson. The Gowfers then came close when Cumming slipped a fine ball through to Clark, but he put his shot over the bar. Clark hit the ball over the defence to Milne who chipped it over the ‘keeper, but he was given offside.

In 68 minutes, Lochee replaced Robertson with Hagan. The visitors added to their tally a few minutes later, again from the penalty spot. Millar tripped Hagan in the box and HAY again made a good job of the spot kick, giving McCafferty no chance.

In 75 minutes Watson made way for McIlravey and two minutes later Milne was replaced by Hendry, and Cumming by Perera.

Carnoustie pulled a goal back five minutes from the end when CLARK pounced on a loose ball 15 yards out and fired low into the left-hand corner. They tried to press for an equaliser but were caught out when Voigt laid the ball across the box for HAGAN to blast high into the net.


Carnoustie Panmure: McCafferty, Cook, Bell, Robertson, Millar, Roberts, Cumming, Clark, Watson, Milne, Gates. Substitutes: Hendry, Narey, Tonner, McIlravey, Perera and Matthew.

Lochee United: Vanderdyle, Richardson, Hay, Kirk, Bannon, Lawson, O’Leary, Cargill, Robertson, Blackwood, Voigt. Substitutes: McGuire, Hagan, Grant, Brown, Abbott and Buttar (gk).

Tomorrow, Saturday, the Gowfers entertain Montrose Roselea in the North/Tayside Inter-Region Cup, sponsored by G.A. Engineering.

The tie is scheduled to get under way at 1.45 p.m., and will be decided on penalty kicks if the teams are level after the regulation 90 minutes.