On-form Gowfers pick up the spoils at Gorebridge

FOR THE away league fixture against Arniston Rangers at Newbyres Park, Gorebridge, on Saturday afternoon, Carnoustie Panmure made two changes to the side held to a draw by Thornton Hibs the previous week.

Steven Cook and Kevin Cumming were both on from the start with John Roberts and Josh Perera dropping to the bench where they were joined by Scott Gates, Mark Matthew and spare goalkeeper Craig Jamieson.

Arniston had a half-chance to open the scoring after Hunter was adjudged to have fouled Stevenson just inside the Gowfers’ half. Herd’s free kick to the back post was nodded back across goal by Cunnison, but Tolmie sent his header high over the top.

Carnoustie had a scare in 12 minutes after Forster received a pass from Stevenson and tried a shot from the edge of the box, but the ball was rising all the time and clipped the top of the bar on its way over.

The Gowfers were now doing most of the pressing and in 28 minutes Milne won a corner off McCaul. CLARK’s cross from the right was cleared back out to him by McCaul. This time, he took a more direct route and saw his powerfully struck shot swirl past Weir to put the Gowfers ahead.

In 35 minutes, Cenerazzo triggered a rare home counter-attack with a long through ball to Stevenson, who tried a first-time shot, but McCafferty got down well to keep his charge intact.

Arniston were finishing the first half strongly and almost snatched an equaliser when Stevenson headed just wide from a Cropley free kick.

Half-time: Arniston Rangers 0, Carnoustie Panmure 1.

Resuming where they left off, Arniston attacked from the restart and in 48 minutes a Herd free kick from the halfway line picked out Forster at the edge of the box, but he shot straight at McCafferty.

Carnoustie began pushing forward once more and came close to doubling their lead when a Narey throw-in picked out Cumming, who shot just wide of Weir’s left-hand post.

With an hour on the watch, the Gowfers did edge further ahead. A through ball from Hunter was flicked on by Milne to McILRAVEY, who outstripped the home defence before hammering a low shot past Weir from the edge of the box.

Two minutes later, Bonthrone was booked for a late tackle on Robertson.

In 63 minutes, Hunter and Stevenson both went down after a clash of heads and while the Arniston player was quickly back on his feet, Hunter remained lying on the ground. After a lengthy spell of treatment, he was led somewhat groggily from the pitch with blood streaming from his nose and the Gowfers continued with only 10 men.

Cumming was replaced by Perera in 68 minutes and also at this point Hunter returned to the fray.

In 72 minutes, Carnoustie made a second change, replacing Milne with Gates.

Three minutes later, the homesters replaced McCaul with McLennan.

Seven minutes later, Cropley was cautioned for a foul on Clark.

With three minutes to go, the Gowfers were again denied a third goal when a McIlravey cross from the left to the far post was cleared off the line by Lynch, with ‘keeper Weir beaten.

As the watch clicked over into stoppage time, the referee stopped play and showed Cropley a straight red card for foul and abusive language directed at the match official. The whistle then blew for full-time and Carnoustie had another three points safely in the bag.

Arniston Rangers: Weir, Lynch, McCaul (McLennan 75), Bonthrone, Cunnison, Tolmie, Herd, Cropley, Stevenson, Forster, Cenerazzo. Substitutes, not used - Torrance, Opilka, Morris and Rachowski (gk).

Carnoustie Panmure: McCafferty, Hendry, Tonner, McIlravey, Narey, Hunter, Clark, Cook, Cumming (Perera 68), Milne (Gates 72), Robertson. Substitutes, not used - Roberts, Matthew and Jamieson (gk).

Referee: D. Smith, Edinburgh.

Return to the Lothians

Tomorrow (Saturday), Carnoustie are back in the Lothians when they travel to Central Park to face Whitburn in the ACA Sports East Premier League.

On their last visit to this venue back on April 5 2008, the Gowfers were on the wrong end of a 2-1 scoreline, but at Laing Park earlier this season Ian Gilzean’s men recorded a 3-1 victory against a side currently languishing second bottom of the table.

Kick-off time is again 2.30 p.m.

ACA Sports East Premier League

P W L D F A Pts

St Andrews United 16 11 2 3 37 21 36

Broxburn Athletic 17 11 5 1 50 27 34

Carnoustie Pan 18 9 4 5 40 29 32

Glenrothes 13 9 3 1 40 22 28

Ballingry Rovers 16 8 6 2 31 37 26

Armadale Thistle 14 5 4 5 25 21 20

Arniston Rangers 16 6 8 2 23 33 20

Kinnoull 19 5 12 2 26 43 17

Penicuik Athletic 14 4 6 4 24 25 16

Broughty Athletic 12 4 6 2 25 29 14

Whitburn 17 4 12 1 24 37 13

Thornton Hibs 14 1 9 4 22 43 7