Panmure spot on in cup clash

editorial image

Carnoustie Panmure 2, Montrose Roselea 2

Carnoustie won

5-4 on penalties

Carnoustie Panmure played host to Montrose Roselea in the second round of the D.J. Laing East of Scotland Cup on Saturday.

The homesters kicked off 10 minutes later than scheduled and Buggins made a good run up the left, but his deep cross was well held by McLeod.

The homesters took the lead in 22 minutes when a long throw on the right by Myles was met by DAILLY who sent a sent a looping header over McLeod and into the far corner of the net.

L. Scott received a severe lecture from the referee for a clumsy tackle on Whyte in midfield and a few minutes later Carnoustie got a scare when Watson picked up a pass from Rae, went past Robertson, and let fly, but his effort rebounded off the foot of the post to safety.

Buggins was booked in 33 minutes for a foul on Rae. Roselea won a corner but Cruikshank’s flag kick was cleared by Myles.

Carnoustie’s Robertson was lectured for a foul on Anderson and a minute later the Gowfers stretched their lead. Another long throw by Myles was knocked back out to the edge of the box by Milne and BUGGINS drove the ball low past McLeod into the net.

A free kick 40 yards out on the right, by Bews was headed by Robertson, but McLeod held it under the bar. Milne then fired in a powerful shot from outside the box, but again McLeod was there to palm it over for a fruitless corner. Right on half-time a McIlravey corner was fumbled by McLeod, but was somehow scrambled clear.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 2, Montrose Roselea 0.

Reid had the ball in the Carnoustie net from a Watson cross, but was ruled offside. The homesters didn’t heed the warning and in 58 minutes, a good passing move between Collier and Watson opened up the Gowfers’ defence and WATSON drove his shot past Ferrie from the edge of the box.

Cook then had a chance to restore the Gowfers’ two-goal lead when he was put through by Dailly but shot past. In 62 minutes Buggins was replaced by Black. Cook fouled Anderson out on the right and the kick, taken by Rae, was met by Watson whose powerful header brought a great save out of Ferrie.

Cook then had a good run down the right and fired the ball across the six-yard box, but there was no Gowfers’ player there to put it away. Robertson gave away a corner, which was taken by Cruikshank, with the ball landing at Watson’s feet, but his shot was palmed down by Ferrie and the Roselea man, following up, fouled Ferrie and was booked.

In 66 minutes McIlravey was replaced by Webster and two minutes later Ferrie, who had not recovered from his clash with Watson, was replaced by Macpherson.

Carnoustie then won a corner off Reoch, but Webster’s kick was too strong and carried out the far side and Robertson went into the referee’s book for dissent.

In 75 minutes Roselea made a change with P. Taylor being replaced by Ross and five minutes later they drew level. Robertson fouled Collier 30 yards out, which drew a second yellow card for him and he was given his marching orders. CRUIKSHANK took the kick and smashed a great shot high into the net giving Macpherson no chance.

As full-time drew near first Milne was booked for kicking the ball away at a free kick then Dailly was booked for a foul on Cruikshank. Carnoustie had a chance at the death when Whyte was booked for a foul on L. Scott and Bews took the free kick which was blocked for a corner by Rae. Webster took the kick, but the referee blew for a free kick to Roselea for pushing in the box and it was on to penalties.

Carnoustie took the first kick which was scored by DAILLY and WATSON made it all square. Bews, for the Gowfers and Reid for Roselea both failed to convert before BLACK, WEBSTER and L. SCOTT for the Gowfers and R. TAYLOR, ANDERSON and WHYTE for Roselea tied it at 4-4. MILNE stepped up and coolly slotted home his shot, but was then sent off for making an obscene gesture to the Roselea fans. It was left to Collier keep the competition going, but a great save by Macpherson put the Gowfers through 5-4.


Carnoustie Panmure: Ferrie (Macpherson 68), Myles, Buggins (Black 62), Millar, Robertson, L. Scott, Cook, Bews, Dailly, Milne, McIlravey (Webster 66). Substitutes not used: M. Scott and Perera.

Montrose Roselea: McLeod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Rae, Reoch, Whyte, Anderson, Collier, Watson, Reid, Cruickshank. Substitutes not used – Ross, Riach, Thomson, Kerrigan, and Brand.

Referee: Mr Steven Traynor, Dundee.