Point ensures Premier League survival

Broughty Athletic 1,

Penicuik Athletic 1

BROUGHTY Athletic entertained promotion-seeking Penicuik at Whitton Park on Saturday in their penultimate league game of the season and ensured their Premier League survival with a share of the spoils.

Fed went into the game on the back of a solid win two weeks earlier against Armadale Thistle, and in the knowledge that they had beaten the visitors in the corresponding fixture in Midlothian earlier in the season.

The home side had the ball in the Penicuik net when the trialist finished off a fine move, but referee Ferguson ruled it offside.

The visitors’ former Dundee FC striker O’Reilly got into a good position in 21 minutes but shot wide from just outside the box.

It was an excellent contest and a Penicuik corner had to be dealt with by Burns who cleared the danger in 30 minutes.

Broughty should have taken the lead when Farquharson played a long diagonal ball into the path of Dailly, who chose to cross rather than shoot and the opportunity was lost.

The Fed were really giving it a go and deservedly went ahead in the 37 minutes when a Dailly cross was headed home from six yards by ROSS LUNAN.

Broughty’s trialist striker had to be replaced with a calf injury.

The last action of the half went Broughty’s way when they forced a corner. The set piece was played into the danger area and won by Myles although the second ball was cleared away by centre-half Meikle.

Half-time: Broughty Athletic 1, Penicuik Athletic 0.

Penicuik were first on the attack after the restart and scored in 50 minutes.

A throw in from Broughty inside the visitors’ half broke down and they quickly went forward.

Striker CRAIG O’REILLY showed all his quality when he took a good touch and finished low into the corner of the net from just outside the box.

Although Broughty were being forced back into defence, Allan had a half chance in 66 minutes but his volley went over ‘keeper Bald’s crossbar.

Broughty looked determined not to lose another goal and first Burns then Ogilvie denied the visitors a shooting opportunity.

Manager’s comment

Fed manager Kenny Cameron was pleased with a share of the spoils and with the performance of his players.

He stated: “Once again we have shown that on our day we can compete and take points against anyone in this league.

“I thought it was a decent game with both sides seeing plenty of possession and creating chances throughout the 90 minutes.”