Renton to the ‘four’ as Gowfers crash in Musselburgh

AN UNDERSTRENGTH Carnoustie Panmure made the trip to the Olive Bank Stadium on Saturday to meet Musselburgh Athletic, in the ACA Sports East Super League.

The Gowfers got off to a great start when a fine cross from Robertson was hammered home by GATES at the back post to put Carnoustie ahead with barely a minute gone.

Three minutes later, Musselburgh came close when Tonner fouled M. King. C. King took the free kick and found M. King in the Gowfers’ box, but his header went past the post.

In eight minutes, Carnoustie had a claim for a penalty turned down.

Three minutes later, a good ball from Perera through to Gates was cleared upfield by Keiron Renton. Tansey picked up the clearance, fed the ball to M. King. He in turn passed to Kris RENTON and the Burgh player made no mistake firing the ball past McCafferty to level the match.

In 21 minutes Carnoustie’s came close when, after Noble became the first player in the book for a foul on Milne, Clark’s free kick was met by the head of Millar, but the ball went straight into the arms of the ‘keeper.

Six minutes later Clark had his name taken after fouling Murray. On the half hour mark, the home team went close to taking the lead, when C. King took a corner, and found Murray, on the edge of the Carnoustie box. He unleashed a fierce drive which whizzed narrowly past McCafferty’s left-hand post.

Hendry then sent a good cross into the box, picking out Millar, but Keiron Renton got up to clutch the powerful header, just under the bar.

McCafferty was the saviour when he saved at the feet of M. King before the player could get his shot off. The ‘keeper again did well three minutes later, when, from several yards offside, M. King played the ball forward to Murray, who also looked suspiciously offside, but McCafferty saved well from the resultant shot.

Both teams then came close, with Burgh’s M. King heading just past the post, when it looked easier to score, and Milne firing in a fierce low drive which also narrowly missed with the ‘keeper well beaten.

A minute into stoppage time, Carnoustie fell behind, when Noble sent in a deep cross to Shand, whose shot rebounded off the bar to M. KING, who headed home.

Half-time: Musselburgh Athletic 2, Carnoustie Panmure 1.

At the start of the second half Clark fired in a fierce shot, only to see it hit his own player, Milne, and spin over the bar.

In 49 minutes, Burgh were awarded a penalty after a tussle between Narey and M. King resulted in the Burgh man going down. Kris RENTON stepped up and hammered the ball past McCafferty.

The home side’s pressure paid off again in 53 minutes, when a cross from Tansey, found the unmarked Kris RENTON, and he easily headed home, to complete his hat-trick.

Carnoustie’s Perera thought he should have had a penalty after Shand pushed him in the box, but the referee waved his claim aside. The Gowfers then made a change with Narey being replaced by Matthew.

The Gowfers then had two half-chances when a fierce shot by Clark, was deflected behind by Russell and the resultant corner, taken by Clark, shot across the face of the goal where both the ‘keeper and Robertson missed it. In 64 minutes when, after a great run into the box, Gates was brought down by Russell, the referee pointed to the spot. GATES took the kick himself and fired the ball past Keiron Renton, to give the Gowfers a glimmer of hope.

Carnoustie were unlucky when Clark’s corner came off M. King and rebounded off the bar.

Burgh then made a change, with M. King making way for Wilson. McCafferty then had to make a great save from a low shot by Gordon.

The visitors lost a fifth goal in 85 minutes when Gates took the ball from a throw-in, but hesitated when a second ball came on the park, expecting the referee to stop play. When he didn’t, Kris RENTON nipped in, stole the ball, drove forward, and fired a low drive which McCafferty couldn’t stop crossing the line.

Milne was shown a yellow card for comments made to the referee. Burgh made another change with Morgan taking over from McCaul. In 87 minutes Milne was sent off for a second yellow card offence, and Carnoustie had to play out the remaining three minutes with 10 men.


Carnoustie Panmure: McCafferty, Narey (Matthew 55), Hendry, Millar, Tonner, Roberts, Robertson, Clark, Perera, Milne and Gates. Substitute not used; Christie.

Musselburgh Athletic: Keiron Renton, Russell, Nible, Gordon, Shand, McCaul (Morgan 86),Murray, C. King, M. King (Wilson 73), Kris Renton, Tansey. Substitutes not used; Ramage and Adams.

Referee: Mr Gavin Duncan, Bo’ness.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers are away again when they travel to meet Camelon Juniors, in the ACA Sports East Super League.

The tie is due to start at the slightly earlier time of 1.45 p.m.

The supporters’ bus leaves Stag’s Head at 10.30 a.m.

ACA Sports East Super League results: Bonnyrigg Rose 0, Camelon 2; Hill of Beath Hawthorn 2, Bo’ness United 0; Linlithgow Rose 0, Kelty Hearts 1; Lochee United 1, Bathgate Thistle 2; Musselburgh Athletic 5, Carnoustie Panmure 2.

Scottish Cup

In the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup third round, Carnoustie Panmure have been drawn away to St. Andrews United. The tie is to be played on Saturday, November 26..

ACA Sports East Super League

P W L D F A Pts

Hill of Beath 9 5 1 3 23 11 18

Bonnyrigg Rose 7 4 1 2 18 9 14

Linlithgow Rose 7 4 2 1 16 11 13

Camelon 8 4 3 1 14 14 13

Musselburgh Ath 9 3 4 2 25 23 11

Bathgate Thistle 10 2 3 5 17 19 11

St Andrews Utd 9 3 4 2 17 22 11

Bo’ness United 6 3 2 1 15 6 10

Kelty Hearts 6 3 2 1 10 9 10

Lochee United 8 2 5 1 17 18 7

Carn Panmure 6 1 3 2 8 14 5

Forfar WE 4 0 4 0 1 25 0