rover and out! smith at double

Mike McIlravey's corner led to the first goal.
Mike McIlravey's corner led to the first goal.

Carnoustie Panmure 3, Ballingry Rovers 0

On Saturday, Carnoustie Panmure, were back on the hunt for vital points when they played host to Ballingry Rovers in the, East Superleague.

For the clash, manager Alan McSkimming made a number of changes to the side that lost out to West Calder with Steven Cook, who took a knock in that game, joining the injury list of Liam Scott and John Roberts.

Chris Macpherson took over as the last line of defence with Neal Ferrie dropping to the bench, where he was joined by Sam Simpson, Greg Birmingham, Gavin Thomson and Mark Kohler.

On from the start were Ewan Buggins, to fill the spot vacated by Steven Cook, Roddy Black and young Pat Smith.

The visitors kicked off playing towards the Barry end and facing a stiffish westerly wind. The match started rather quietly with most of the action taking place in mid-field, then in 10 minutes the Gowfers took the lead after they won a corner, on the left, off Connor.

McIlravey took the kick and picked out Kenneth who headed it goalwards only to see it blocked on the line by Connor, but the ball spun out to SMITH who fired it home, giving ‘keeper Moonie no chance.

The Gowfers kept pressing and won another corner, this time on the right, after M. Scott’s shot was deflected behind by Campbell. Again McIlravey took the kick and this time found Smith direct, but he couldn’t control it and the ball spun out behind for a goal kick to Rovers.

In 22 minutes, Ballingry mounted an attack and Bryce took a pass from Schiavone, then took a couple of steps, before firing in a fierce drive from 15 yards, but Macpherson brought off a great save to keep his charge intact.

Six minutes later the Gowfers doubled their lead after Bews took the ball to the bye-line then cut it back to SMITH, some 10 yards out, and he made no mistake, notching his own and his side’s second. The homesters continued to control the game, but just couldn’t add to their tally and the last action of the half saw Campbell cautioned for a foul on M. Scott

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 2, Ballingry Rovers 0.

Before the second half got under way, the visitors made a change, with Bateson going off to make way for Meikle. The Gowfers kept pushing forward and in 50 minutes, Black tried a shot from around 30 yards, but was off target and the ball whizzed narrowly past Moonie’s left-hand upright.

Four minutes later, the Rovers made a second change with Bryce, who had taken a slight knock, leaving the pitch and Bratchie going on in his place.

Both sides continued to battle away in midfield with neither having any real attempts on goal. In 75 minutes it was the Gowfer’s turn to make a change, with McIlravey giving way to Simpson. Within moments of going on, the substitute forced a corner off Connor and he took the kick himself, but when the ball came over, the referee spotted some pushing in the box and awarded a free kick to the visitors.

Still Carnoustie kept pressing and 10 minutes later M. Scott made a great run up the left the fired in a low drive, but Moonie got down well to make the save. In 80 minutes Forbes was shown the yellow card for a foul on Simpson then three minutes later, Bews suffered the same fate, this for a foul on Meikle.

In 88 minutes Rovers were awarded a free-kick around 25 yards out when Connor was brought down by Kenneth and his name also went into the referee’s book. Campbell took the kick, but put his shot straight at Macpherson, who had no trouble making the save.

Right on the whistle, the Gowfers made their third and final change with Birmingham going on in place of Smith and seconds after going on, the substitute made a great run up the left, outstripped Forbes, then fired the ball across the face of the goal and there was SIMPSON, who had an easy tap-in for the Gowfer’s third. Moments later, the referee signalled the end of the tie and the Gowfers had another three valuable points in the bag.


Carnoustie Panmure: Macpherson, Buggins, Neath, Millar, Robertson, Kenneth, McIlravey, Black, Bews, Smith, M. Scott. Substitutes – Simpson, Birmingham, Thomson, Kohler and Ferrie (GK).

Ballingry Rovers: Moonie, Campbell, Connor, Forbes, Fleming, Lynas, Schiavonie, Bateson, Watt, McCrindle, Bryce. Substitutes – Meikle, Bratchie, Edmundson, Ewing and Young (GK).

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers were originally scheduled to host Penicuik Athletic in the, East Superleague, but because of the recent wet weather and Laing Park having had two home games on the trot, the pitch suffered somewhat so the Gowfers contacted the Mid-Lothian side to ask if they would consider switching the fixture to Penicuik. This they kindly agreed to and so the Gowfers will be heading for Penicuik Public Park.

Penicuik, who won last season’s Premier league, are coping very well with life in the top flight and currently lie in seventh spot in the table, with five wins, two draws and four defeats from their 11 games played. The last time the Gowfers visited the venue was back on November 20, 2010, with the match ending in a 1-1 stalemate.

With both sides having had excellent 3-0 wins last week, this is sure to be another keenly contested affair. Kick-off will be at 1.45 p.m.

Results – Lochee United 3, Bonnyrigg Rose 4; Carnoustie Panmure 3, Ballingry Rovers 0; Penicuik Athletic 3, Camelon Juniors 0.

East Superleague

P W D L F A Pts

Kelty Hearts 10 8 2 0 32 9 26

Newtongrange 11 7 3 1 23 10 24

Linlithgow 8 6 1 1 23 10 19

Bonnyrigg 11 6 1 4 25 19 19

Bo’ness 9 5 2 2 25 10 17

Musselburgh 11 5 2 4 17 16 17

Penicuik 11 5 2 4 17 19 17

Broxburn 11 3 5 3 15 14 14

Camelon 12 3 4 5 15 20 13

Hill of Beath 10 3 2 5 16 19 11

Carnoustie 11 3 2 6 15 24 11

Sauchie 10 3 2 5 11 23 11

Ballingry 11 3 1 7 9 24 10

Fauldhouse 11 1 5 5 16 20 8

Lochee Utd 10 2 1 7 18 32 7

Armadale 9 1 3 5 12 20 6