Scottish Cup action for Gowfers as they look to bounce back from narrow Newtongrange Star defeat

Photo - Ian Mutch
Photo - Ian Mutch

Alan McSkimming kept changes to a minimum for the visit of Newtongrange Star in Saturday’s Super League encounter.

Newtongrange started the sharper and had the majority of the early chances with a shot over the bar after six minutes and one just wide 14 minutes later.

Their early pressure paid off when Roberts fouled in the middle of the park but the referee played advantage, and a good passing move ended with Kris Renton putting the ball past Macpherson in the Carnoustie goal.

Almost immediately Black had the chance to pull one back for the Gowfers, but his shot from the edge of the box was saved by the Newtongrange keeper.

Newtongrange had the chance to double their lead on the hour mark but the shot from the edge of the box went wide of the Carnoustie goal and five minutes later they were reduced to 10 men after a straight red for Murray.

Carnoustie proceeded to pepper the Newtongrange goal with shots trying to make their man advantage count, and in 70 minutes McIlravey squared the ball to McCabe whose shot rattled off the post.

Two minutes later, Smith put a teasing ball across the face of the Newtongrange goal which needed the slightest of touches to go in, however none of the Carnoustie men managed to get on the end of it.

With 10 minutes left on the clock Roberts tried to burst the net from 25 yards out, only to see the Newtongrange keeper pulled off a great save, putting the ball behind for a corner.

Shortly after, the Gowfers were also reduced to 10 men when Roberts was shown a red card for a second booking.

In the last minute of the game Carnoustie had the best chance to equalise when McIlravey crossed to MacDonald who headed over when it looked easier to score.

Shortly after the referee blew for full time and Carnoustie had suffered only their second home defeat of the league campaign, but they could and should have left the game with the minimum of a point.

Tomorrow the Gowfers get yet another break from league business, their fourth in the last two months, when they hit the road and head for Inverurie and a meeting with Colony Park in the Second Round of the Scottish Junior Cup.

This will be the second time the sides have met in the national competition, the first being in the Third Round back on November 30, 2013 at Laing Park, with the Gowfers recording a comfortable 6-0 win.

Since then they have also met in a pre-season friendly, up at Colony Park, on July 19, 2014 which the home side won 2-1.

The home side are currently undefeated in the league and sit top of the table with eight wins and one draw from their nine games played and have scored 27 goals with the loss of only five, so Alan McSkimming’s men will have to be at their very best if they are to progress to the next round. Kick-off tomorrow is at 2.30 p.m.