Second half fightback sees Fed through to semis

editorial image

BROUGHTY Athletic played host to Central Division side, Bankfoot, at Whitton Park on Saturday for a GA Engineering Cup quarter-final tie.

The visitors were full of confidence following a fine win against Jeanfield during the week.

Bankfoot kicked off but Broughty were first to show. Good link up play involving both Winter and Farquharson saw an early shot saved by Bankies ‘keeper Whyte.

The home side almost took the lead in the 10th minute when, after sustained pressure in the visitor’s half, the ball was delivered into the box and Smith’s shot was turned onto the post by the veteran stopper. The ball then bounced straight back into the ‘keeper’s hands.

Against the run of play Bankies went a goal up in 15 minutes when a superb strike from 30 yards by WHYTOCK beat Brown all ends up. That stunned the homesters and for a while their passing was poor and play became rather scrappy.

Broughty pressed for the equaliser although nothing seemed to come off and they never really threatened the Bankies’ goal. Jamie Winter tried a spectacular effort in the 30th minute when he sent in a shot from the halfway line although it just failed to hit the target.

A couple of quick corners had the Bankies’ defence struggling although they rallied and managed to clear the danger.

Broughty were pressing forward in search of an equaliser and a free kick from Smith just failed to reach Bertie’s head. The first half ended with Fed on the attack but being frustrated in front of goal by some good defending by the visitors.

Half-time: Broughty Athletic 0, Bankfoot Athletic 1.

Broughty attacked from the restart and a long ball from Myles was chased by Dailly. His shot from the edge of the box was deflected behind for a corner. From the resultant set-piece Bertie saw his header go just over.

The Fed were really pushing the visiting defence and deservedly equalised in the 50th minute. Neat play between Smith and Dailly saw the ball break to WINTER who crashed home from just outside the box.

Bankfoot were rattled and Broughty could have gone in front minutes later when Smith broke free, but his shot was well saved by Whyte. Farquharson was next up for the home side and his header drifted just over much to the relief of the Bankies’ keeper.

The Fed eventually took the lead in 61 minutes when DAILLY finished well from just inside the box, beating the goalie at his near post.

Bankies were reduced to 10 men five minutes later when McDonald was shown a straight red card for a poor tackle on Winter.

The home side continued to press forward and Myles almost scored after Whyte had spilled a Craik shot. Whyte then dropped a cross from Farquharson although Craik was inches away from slotting home and the danger cleared.

Broughty increased their lead with the goal of the game in 75 minutes when WINTER produced a moment of class. He hammered the ball high into the roof of the net from a free kick fully 40 yards out for a stunning goal.

The Fed scored their fourth 10 minutes from the end. ‘Keeper Whyte was sent off after a rash tackle on Dailly in the box.

Referee Banks awarded a penalty and WINTER completed his hat-trick from the spot.

In the final 10 minutes Broughty saw plenty of the ball inside the Bankfoot half and a couple of chances were created by Allan and Watt although neither shot hit the target.

After the match a delighted Kenny Cameron said: “Bankfoot are a team who are playing extremely well this year, used to winning and high on confidence, so my players knew it was going to be a tough game for us today.

“There was a much improved second half team performance when we controlled for long spells and I thought we were much more like ourselves.

“Some fantastic goals were scored and we are delighted to advance to the semis of the cup.”