Spot kick agony

Carnoustie Panmure 2, Linlithgow Rose 3

The Gowfers welcomed Linlithgow Rose to Laing Park on Saturday for a East Superleague clash.

This scramble failed to lead to an qualiser for the Gowfers against Linlithgow.

This scramble failed to lead to an qualiser for the Gowfers against Linlithgow.

For the Superleague match, manager Alan McSkimming brought Ewan Buggins, Mike McIlravey and Rori Bews into the starting 11 with bench spots going to Steven Cook, Josh Perera, Marc Scott, Josh Allardyce (GK) and Chris Macpherson (GK).

Rose kicked off in fine sunshine, but Carnoustie won the ball and Buggins fired a long ball into the Rose box, but Christie was out smartly to clutch the ball safely.

The Laing Park men have a bad habit of giving away early goals and this time it was a very soft penalty, ruled by the referee, when Millar collided with Smith in the box. The kick was taken by COYNE who sent Ferrie the wrong way to put Rose one up in five minutes.

The Gowfers had loud appeals for a penalty of their own on their next attack when a corner by McIlravey was headed goalwards by Millar and looked to have struck a defender’s arm, but the referee waved their claims away.

McIlravey then burst down the right on a long ball by Myles, but shot into the side netting and Carnoustie then won a corner off Dunn, but McIlravey’s kick was punched clear by Christie. L. Scott made a strong run into the Rose box, but just let the ball run away from him at the death and the ‘keeper was able to clear.

In 24 minutes Milne chased a long ball with McKenzie and was fouled 30 yards out which resulted in the Rose player being sent off as he was the last man.

BEWS took the free kick and curled a lovely ball over the wall and into the top corner for the equaliser.

The joy was shortlived however as the score changed again in 28 minutes when RUARI McLENNAN punted a long, high ball into the Carnoustie box and it was misjudged by Ferrie and went over his head into the net.

Carnoustie got back on level terms again, just on the break, when Bews latched on to a pass by Milne, but his shot was blocked for a corner and McIlravey’s kick caused panic in the Rose box with the ball falling kindly for BUGGINS to shoot through a ruck of players for the equaliser.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 2, Linlithgow Rose 2.

Rose had the strong wind in their favour this half and Nelson tried a shot from 40 yards, but it was straight at Ferrie and Coyne then got down the left and his cross was met by Ruari McLennan, but again Ferrie held the 30 yard shot. At the other end, a cross in by L. Scott was volleyed goalwards by Black, from the edge of the box, but it was well over the top.

Rose nearly went ahead again when Smith tried a snap shot from outside the box, but it just scraped past Ferrie’s left-hand post and Coyne had a shot punched away for a corner by Ferrie, but the kick by Shirra was cleared by Myles. In 66 minutes Shirra was booked for dissent.

Rose kept the pressure up and forced three corners in a row, but the Carnoustie defence stood firm. In 68 minutes Roddy McLennan was replaced by Gibson and two minutes later Rose were awarded another very soft penalty when Shirra ran into Buggins.

The Carnoustie players were looking for Shirra to be booked for diving, but instead it was Buggins and Robertson who went into the book for protesting too strongly. COYNE made the penalty look easy, to put Rose in the lead again. Ruari McLellan was booked for a foul on Roberts 30 yards out, but the kick by Black was cleared by Ovenstone.

In 78 minutes L. Scott was replaced by Cook. Two minutes later Carnoustie had a chance to draw level again when Nelson fouled Myles out on the left and Bews’ free kick produced a penalty, for pushing by Ovenstone in the box.

McIlravey’s spot kick brought out a fine save by Christie who blocked the ball and Roberts, following up, fired the loose ball over the bar.

On the whistle Cook picked up a loose ball 30 yards out, but his effort was wide.

Carnoustie Panmure: Ferrie, Myles, Buggins, Millar, Robertson, Roberts, L. Scott (Cook 78), Black, Bews, Milne, McIlravey. Substitutes not used: M. Scott, Perera, Allardyce and Macpherson.

Linlithgow Rose -Christie, Tyrrell, Dunn, McKenzie, Ovenstone, Shirra, Ruari McLennan, Nelson, Smith, Coyne, Roddy McLennan (Gibson 68). Substitutes not used – Strickland, Meechan, Herd and McKinven (GK).

Referee – Mr Steven Traynor, Dundee.

Matchball sponsor – Brymer Legal, Dundee.

Tomorrow’s match

They had an abandoned match and a replay in the last round of the Scottish Junior Cup and tomorrow (Saturday) the Gowfers are back in action in the national competition when they play host to North Region outfit, Colony Park in a third round tie.

The visitors, who only joined the junior ranks in season 2010/11, are based in Inverurie and currently top the PMAC group, First Division East with seven wins, four draws and only two defeats, scoring 50 goals and conceding 21, so it seems that their forwards are rather free-scoring with an average of nearly four goals per game, but they can also lose a few, so an exciting game is on the cards. This week the game gets under way at the slightly earlier time of 1.45 p.m.

P W L D F A Pts

Newtongrange 12 10 1 1 30 8 31

Linlithgow 9 8 0 1 24 8 25

Broxburn 13 7 4 2 18 21 23

Bo’ness United 9 7 2 0 25 9 21

Bonnyrigg Rose 10 5 1 4 18 9 19

Sauchie Juniors 11 6 5 0 23 14 18

Hill of Beath 12 5 4 3 26 20 18

Camelon 9 5 1 1 11 7 18

Musselburgh 12 5 5 2 20 20 17

Carnoustie Pan 10 4 5 1 16 21 13

Lochee United 11 3 8 0 18 25 9

Kelty Hearts 13 1 6 6 16 27 9

Armadale Th. 12 2 8 2 12 15 8

Ballingry Rov. 13 2 9 2 13 36 8

St Andrews 10 1 6 3 10 23 6

Tayport 10 1 7 2 9 22 5