Still got it all to play for, says McSkimming

editorial image

Carnoustie Panmure 4, St Andrews United 2

On Wednesday evening, April 30, Carnoustie welcomed St Andrews United to Laing Park for a match in the East Superleague.

Carnoustie made a great start going ahead in six minutes when a McIlravey corner was headed home by MILLAR. They kept in control of the game and in 40 minutes went further ahead when a low drive across the six yard box, by Milne,

was turned into his own net by the full back at the near post. St Andrews pulled one back three minutes later when a corner on the right was headed in at the far post by WHITE.

Half time: Carnoustie Panmure 2, St Andrews United 1.

St Andrews came out strongly for the second half and put the Gowfers under a fair bit of pressure, but they weathered the storm and in 68 minutes opened up the gap again when M. Scott made a fine run down the right and his cross was turned in at the near post by MILNE. This settled Carnoustie and they went further ahead when Milne made a good run on the right and laid the ball on for PERERA to drive home. Just on time Port fired in a shot from the angle which was fumbled over the line by Macpherson, but the Gowfers had gained a much needed three points.

Manager’s comments

It’s still all to play for according to Gowfers’ gaffer Alan McSkimming, despite some mixed results.

Last Wednesday Panmure trumped St Andrews 4-2 to end their dry spell which pleased the boss no end. He said: “The most important thing was that we adapted to the conditions and worked really hard for the 90 minutes and our quality shone as the game developed.”

However, the run only lasted until Saturday when Musselburgh doled out a 4-1 drubbing. Alan said: “I think there was a slight relaxing from winning on Wednesday and to be honest they just blew us away in the first 15 minutes, they were just sharper and hungrier.

“The second half was a different story but ultimately the game never felt within our reach.

“Full credit to Musselburgh, they are probably the best team we’ve played this season and they took full advantage of us on Saturday.”

On Wednesday Carnoustie again suffered, this time a surprise 3-1 defeat to Tayport. The boss said: “It was incredible, we were beaten 3-1. We came in at half-time 1-0 up, completely dominating the game and at no point did we feel Tayport could give us a problem. Then two minutes into the second half it was the old story of ball hitting hand which they were awarded a penalty for and which they converted.”

An off-the-ball incident with Kevin Milne saw him awarded a straight red, and given his penalty points accumulation that likely signalled the end of his season.

Although St Andrews and Tayport have been automatically relegated, at third bottom, Carnoustie is still in danger.

Alan said: “Keltie finished their season on Wednesday and are three points above us. We’ve got four games to get four points and move out of the relegation zone, it’s not beyond us. We need to get the points.”