Tale of two spot kicks at Rose

SATURDAY saw Carnoustie Panmure embark on their 2012/13 McBookie.com East Super League programme with a trip to Prestonfield to meet Linlithgow Rose.

For the clash, manager Ian Gilzean made two changes to the side that had so comprehensively beaten Coupar Angus the previous week. Danny Millar and Scott Robertson were both on from the start, with Scott Hunter and Mike McIlravey dropping to the bench, where they were joined by Josh Perera, Harry Neave and Andy Cowan.

The Gowfers kicked off facing a strong wind and pushed forward with Dailly making a run through, but Shirra stepped in to clear the ball downfield. In two minutes Coyne took a pass from Strickland and tried a shot, but Macpherson had no trouble making the save.

Two minutes later the home side were sensationally reduced to 10 men when Dailly ran on to a through ball and was chopped down, in full flow, by Mackenzie who received a straight red card. L. Scott took the resultant free kick from some 30 yards out, but fired it against the defensive wall and it was cleared away.

In seven minutes the Gowfers were again on the attack and M. Scott played a long ball through for Dailly, but he put too much weight behind it and the ball ran out for a goal kick. From the ‘keeper’s kick the ball came out to Coyne who took it to the bye-line and won a corner off Roberts which Shirra took and found Gibson, but he sent his header wide of Macpherson’s left-hand post.

Both Coyne and Shirra saw shots blocked before Macpherson managed to clutch the ball cleanly after a third shot. The Gowfers then had a great chance cleared of the line by Dunn after good play between the Scott brothers saw Liam try a shot which Dailly got a foot to and the ball spun towards goal with Hay well beaten.

Two minutes later M. Scott was shown yellow for a late tackle on Roddy Maclennan. On the half-hour mark the home side were again on the attack when another long kick-out from Hay found Coyne who bore down on goal, but a great saving tackle by Narey cleared the ball away. Millar then had to make a great tackle when Shirra played a good ball through to Strickland who was getting ready to shoot when Millar intervened.

In 33 minutes Robertson played a long ball through for M. Scott, but this time it was Linlithgow’s Shirra who made the timely interception sending the ball out for a fruitless corner. Play surged downfield and the ball was picked up by Strickland who drove into the box and skipped past Ferguson

Macpherson came out diving at the Rose player’s feet and he went down, prompting the referee to blow for a penalty and show Macpherson a red card, although the Carnoustie ‘keeper did get a hand to the ball. Perera came off the bench to take over in goal with the unfortunate Narey being the outfield player sacrificed. COYNE took the penalty firing the ball into the net giving Perera no chance.

Two minutes later a back-header by Millar nearly caught Perera unawares, but fortunately he was able to recover and claim the ball. Just on half-time Strickland linked well with Shirra who fed the ball through to Roddy Maclennan who was fouled by Robertson just outside the Carnoustie box. Nelson took the free kick and played the ball across the face of the goal, but again Millar intercepted and put the ball out for another fruitless corner.

Half-time: Linlithgow Rose 1, Carnoustie Panmure 0.

Before the second half could get underway the Gowfers made their second change, with McIlravey taking over from M. Scott. In 46 minutes the Gowfers were awarded a free-kick when Ovenstone brought down Dailly, but it was wasted when Clark sent the ball out behind.

The Gowfers then went close to levelling the tie when Clark fired in a good shot, which the keeper did well to beat away, then McIlravey picked up the loose ball and drilled it back in, only to see it come back off the post with the ‘keeper beaten. Back at the other end, after Nelson was fouled by Roberts, Shirra picked out Coyne with the free kick, but his shot was cleared by a combination of Young and Millar. Coyne then tried another shot in 61 minutes, but Perera had no trouble saving.

Two minutes later Linlithgow made a double substitution, with Strickland and Roddy Maclennan making way for Herd and McArthur. In 67 minutes the home side almost doubled their lead when Coyne linked with Herd, who fired in a shot which hit Perera’s right-hand post.

A minute later McArthur was shown yellow for hauling down Ferguson. Three minutes later Nelson intercepted a pass from Ferguson to Dailly, but he could only get off a weak shot which didn’t trouble Perera. The ‘keeper had to then make a good save when Shirra knocked the ball down to Coyne who laid it off for Ruari Maclennan to have a shot.

In 74 minutes the Gowfers made their third change with Ferguson going off for Neave. Just a minute later there was further disaster for the Gowfers when the referee missed a foul on Dailly by Ovenstone and Herd made a surging run up the right then cut inside the box where he was brought down by Young, which resulted in another penalty for Rose and a yellow card for the Carnoustie player. COYNE took the kick, again giving Perera no chance.

Ruari Maclennan was then shown yellow for a foul on McIlravey and Millar sent the resultant free-kick into the Rose box, but Dunn got there before Dailly and cleared.

In 84 minutes the Gowfers went close to pulling a goal back after Clark laid the ball of to Roberts who hit a great shot which Hay did brilliantly to save. Two minutes later the Gowfers again hit the post, this time after L. Scott was fouled. McIlravey took the free kick, found Clark who fed it through to Roberts, whose cross found Dailly and who powered in a header which beat the ‘keeper but not the upright. The Gowfers had a last chance two minutes into stoppage time when Dailly sent in a good cross to Neave, but the Carnoustie man headed the ball straight at Hay.

Linlithgow Rose: Hay, Gibson, Dunn, Mackenzie, Ovenstone, Shirra, Ruari Maclennan, Nelson, Strickland (Herd 63), Coyne (Smith 87), Roddy Maclennan (McArthur 63). Substitutes not used: Manson, Paterson (GK).

Carnoustie Panmure: Macpherson (Perera 34), Narey (Perera 34), Ferguson (Neave 74), Millar, Young, Roberts, L. Scott, Robertson, Dailly, M. Scott (McIlravey, 45), Clark. Substitutes not used: Cowan, Hunter.

Referee: Mr Gavin Ross, Edinburgh.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers are back on home turf when they welcome Super League ‘newboys’ Sauchie to Laing Park for their second game in the McBookie.com sponsored East Super League.

The Clackmannanshire side won promotion last season by winning the Premier League title and are sure to be keen to get some points on the board having lost to Kelty Hearts last week. The game kicks off at 2.30 p.m.

Results: Bonnyrigg Rose 4, St Andrews Utd 0; Broxburn 3, Bo’ness Utd 0; Hill of Beath 2, Camelon 1; Linlithgow 2, Carnoustie 0; Lochee United 1, Musselburgh 1; Sauchie 1, Kelty Hearts 4.