Ten man Fed show their battling qualities

Broughty Athletic 1,

Arniston Rangers 1

BROUGHTY Athletic entertained Arniston Rangers at Whitton Park on Saturday afternoon in both sides’ third Premier League fixture of the season.

Gavin Burns replaced the missing Steven Tweed in the Broughty line-up from the previous week, while the visitors included ex-Rangers FC defender Scott Nisbet in their starting 11.

Arniston kicked off and were soon on the attack with a Stevenson shot blocked off Ogilvie’s legs and out for a corner kick in the opening minutes.

The dangerous Sommerville broke free on the left in the 15th minute before delivering a fine cross into the box although it beat both defender and attacker and the opportunity was lost.

Broughty’s first chance of the game came in the 21st minute when MacLeod sent a good shot from distance just wide of Arniston’s goal.

Both sides were seeing plenty of the ball although their choice of pass in the final third let them down.

In a competitive game, there were a couple of meaty tackles in the middle of the park with firstly Broughty’s Brash then Garrick taking sore ones on their shins, although referee Ferguson chose to only speak to the Arniston offenders.

The visitors took the lead in the 32nd minute. After a fine save from Cormack in the Fed goal, LEISHMAN was first to react inside the box to crash the ball home off the underside of the bar.

Broughty deservedly equalised eight minutes later when a Stark corner kick was headed powerfully home by the unmarked BRASH.

Half-time: Broughty Athletic 1, Arniston Rangers 1.

Broughty were reduced to 10 men within five minutes of the second half kicking off in what was the main talking point of the game.

In a sliding tackle on the greasy surface committed by ‘Birdie’ Craik, very similar to a couple of challenges already in the first half, referee Ferguson correctly awarded a free kick to the visitors, then to the amazement of everyone inside the ground sent of the big striker reducing Broughty to 10 men.

The visitors were trying to make the numerical advantage count and McCormack tried his luck from distance although it was saved by Fed ‘keeper Cormack.

Rackowski in the visitors’ goal was also called into action in the 67th minute when Farquharson did well to work a space before shooting although it was well saved by the ‘keeper.

Arniston did have the ball in the Fed’s net but it was correctly chalked off for offside after the referee consulted with his linesman.

Broughty won a free kick in the 77th minute when Dailly was fouled by defender Opilka 25 yards out. MacLeod’s effort was well saved by the Arniston ‘keeper and cleared away from the danger area by the alert Nisbet.

Even with 10 men, Broughty had certainly not given up hope of winning the game and pushed forward at every opportunity. A Myles cross into the box in the 80th minute was just too high for Farquharson who had found space inside the box.

The best chance of the second half fell Broughty’s way when a ball into the box from MacLeod was nodded into the path of Lunan. He took a good touch before lifting the ball over Arniston ‘keeper Rackowski. Unfortunately for Broughty the effort hit the bar and bounced over.

The last chance of the game again came the home side’s way in the last minute when an Allan cross was met by Lunan’s head although the effort went straight into the arms of the visitors’ number one.

The referee immediately blew his whistle to end a hard fought game from which both sides will have few complaints about a share of the points.

After the 1-1 draw with Arniston, Kenny Cameron was again encouraged by his team’s competitive spirit. He said: “Although really disappointed with the decision to send off big Birdie, all credit to my players who battled away for so long with 10 men today.

“We had a great chance to win it in the final minutes, but overall I thought it was a typically hard fought Premier League game where over the piece a draw was the correct result.”