Ten-man Gowfers gain vital point

CARNOUSTIE Panmure were on the road again on Saturday when they travelled to Newtown Park, home of current League Champions Bo’ness United, for their first meeting of the season in the ACA Sports East Super League.

Bo’ness kicked off and immediately put the ball out of play beside Carnoustie’s corner flag.

Millar then played a good ball through to Perera, but Snowdon just beat him to it and cleared the ball upfield. Plenderleith collected and played it through to WATT, who took it forward, outstripped the Gowfers’ defence and fired the ball into the net.

Three minutes later the Gowfers came close to levelling the match when Gates sent in a rocket shot from the edge of the box, but Christie made a great save to touch it over the bar.

Gowfers pushed forward again with Gates feeding Hendry. He played a great ball forward to Perera, but Christie rushed from his line to smother it before Perera could get the necessary touch. In 19 minutes the homesters doubled their lead after they were awarded a free kick wide on the right. Duffy took the kick and found the unmarked REILLY who headed home from 10 yards.

In 26 minutes, Watson fed the ball into the box to McIlravey who was chopped down by Reilly for a Carnoustie penalty which was duly converted by GATES.

The Gowfers kept pressing and were rewarded when McIlravey played a ball out to Watson, who flicked it over Mulligan’s head and sent a great cross into the box. Gibb just beat Perera to it and knocked it out for a corner. Clark’s corner kick found ROBERTSON at the near post and he headed home to give the Gowfers a deserved equaliser with 36 minutes played.

Half-time: Bo’ness United 2, Carnoustie Panmure 2.

On the restart, Donnelly made a good run down the left, linking with Walker who played the ball in to Watt. Hendry made a great interception and cleared the ball upfield.

In 51 minutes United came close when a Donnelly cross found Plenderleith who powered in a header, but Hendry managed to clear the ball off the line.

Play surged back upfield and Gates fed a great ball through for Watson to chase, but again Christie rushed off his line to clear the danger.

In 54 minutes the Gowfers made their first change with Matthew making way for Cumming. After Christie had made another good save, from a Carnoustie corner, Bo’ness made their first change with Gribben taking over from Plenderleith.

With an hour played, Bo’ness regained the lead when Millar deflected the ball out for a corner which Gribben took. He found Reilly at the back post and his header back across goal was headed in by WATT. Before the restart Bo’ness made another change with Nimmo taking Bonar’s place.

Five minutes later Carnoustie made a second change with Perera being replaced by Cook.

In 66 minutes Carnoustie were back on level terms. Cook sent Gates away up the left. He took the ball forward then swung a great cross into the goalmouth and, although Christie did well to punch it clear, it dropped to CLARK at the edge of the box and he volleyed it into the back of the net.

In 71 minutes the Gowfers were reduced to 10 men when Reilly and Cumming went up to challenge for the ball and the referee flashed a straight red card at the Carnoustie man for attempting to elbow his opponent.

However, being a man short didn’t stop Carnoustie pressing for the winner and Millar played a great ball through to Watson, but he misjudged his run and was flagged offside.

Bo’ness made their third change with Hamilton replacing Mulligan.

Deep into stoppage time the home side was also reduced to 10 men after Robertson and Nimmo clashed. The referee showed Nimmo a yellow card followed by red, as he had been cautioned earlier, for dissent. He then cautioned Snowdon for foul and abusive language directed at a Carnoustie player.


Bo’ness United: Christie, Snowdon, Mulligan (Hamilton 76), Gibb, Reilly, Bonar (Nimmo 60), Watt, Duffy, Plenderleith (Gribben 55), Walker, Donnelly. Substitutes not used: Hay, Cannine, Shields and Allan (GK).

Carnoustie Panmure: McCafferty, Gates, Hendry, Robertson, Millar, Matthew (Cumming 54), McIlravey, Clark, Watson, Roberts, Perera (Cook 65). Substitutes not used: McSkimming, Narey, Tonner, Johnson and Jamieson (GK).

Referee: Mr Gavin Ross, Edinburgh.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday) the Gowfers get another brief respite from the struggle to collect league points when they welcome North region Super League side FC Stoneywood to Laing Park for a quarter-final tie in the Inter-Region Cup sponsored by G.A. Engineering.

The tie gets under way at 2.30 p.m. and will be played to a finish, with penalties to decide the winner, should they be all square after 90 minutes.

ACA Sports East Super League

P W L D F A Pts

Linlithgow 19 10 5 4 41 31 34

Hill of Beath 14 8 2 4 30 16 28

Bonnyrigg 13 7 2 4 34 20 25

Camelon 17 7 6 4 30 26 25

Bo’ness 12 6 2 4 20 13 22

Bathgate 18 5 7 6 26 36 21

Kelty Hearts 15 5 6 4 18 20 19

Musselburgh 16 4 9 3 33 42 15

St Andrews 15 4 8 3 24 34 15

Lochee Utd 15 4 8 3 23 27 15

Carn Panmure 14 2 7 5 19 33 11