Ten-man Gowfers take the points with Clark late double

editorial image

FOR THEIR penultimate home fixture of the season on Saturday afternoon, Carnoustie Panmure played host to Fife side Ballingry Rovers in the ACA Sports East Premier League.

Craig Jamieson and Mark Matthew, both on from the start against Whitburn the previous week, were unavailable and were replaced in the Gowfers’ starting line-up by John McCafferty and Steven Narey.

Bench spots went to Josh Perera, Greg Beattie, Scott Gates and Greg Anderson.

From the kick-off, Ballingry had an early chance, but Stein’s through-ball found Gilfillan in an offside position.

Narey then forced his way up the Carnoustie right, but his deep cross in was well held by Houston in the visitors’ goal.

Rovers pushed forward once more and came close to opening the scoring when S. Graham headed narrowly over from a Lawrie corner.

Shortly afterwards, a McCreadie free kick from midway inside the Gowfers’ half picked out Adam, whose header was just off target.

In 24 minutes, Roberts was booked for a foul on R. Graham. Lawrie took the resultant free kick, but his shot was held easily by McCafferty.

Carnoustie were coming more into the game and a promising home attack resulted in Clark being fouled by R. Graham just outside the box on the right. Clark took the kick himself, but ‘keeper Houston was equal to the task and brought off a fine save as the ball appeared destined for the top corner.

The Gowfers were dealt a blow in 35 minutes when Milne raised his hands in a tussle with Moffat and was immediately shown the red card. A minute later, Robertson was yellow-carded for persistent fouling.

With the interval fast approaching, Roberts tested Houston with a fierce 35-yard strike, which the ‘keeper did well to hold at the second attempt.

Further home pressure forced a corner on the right, but McIlravey’s cross was cleared by Moffat.

Just on half-time, Ballingry passed up a golden opportunity to go ahead. S. Graham was put clean through on McCafferty, but Hendry got back to prevent an almost certain goal with a great blocking tackle.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 0, Ballingry Rovers 0.

Both sides made a change during the break, Gates replacing Narey for Carnoustie and Traub taking over from Condie for Ballingry.

In 50 minutes, Clark was booked for a foul on Moffat.

Substitute Gates had a chance to put Carnoustie ahead after being sent clear by Cook, but ballooned his shot high over the bar.

Moments later, a 40-yard free kick from Clark was punched away by Houston, but only as far as Roberts, whose shot from outside the box was too high and posed no threat to the Fifers’ goal.

Gates continued to cause problems for the Ballingry defence and was unlucky not to break the deadlock with a great solo run and shot, which Houston did well to tip over for a fruitless corner.

l Continued on page 37