There’s no home comforts as the Gowfers crash out of cup

Carnoustie v West Calder
Carnoustie v West Calder

Carnoustie Panmure 0, West Calder United 3.

Last Saturday, Carnoustie Panmure were back at home playing host to West Calder United in their Scottish Junior Cup second round replay after their 0-0 stalemate the previous week.

Because of some overnight rain, the north side of the pitch was very wet and a pitch inspection was called for. This was duly carried out and fortunately it passed and the game was on.

For the tie, Manager Alan McSkimming made several changes to the side that lined up the previous week. John Roberts, who had been carried off in that match, was out, as was long-term injury victim Liam Scott and Mark Kohler was unavailable.

Neal Ferrie was back in goal with Chris Macpherson dropping to the bench. Gary Kenneth, had recovered from his injury scare and was on from the start, as was Mike McIlravey and Rori Bews, while Roddy Black and Ewan Buggins both dropped to the bench where they were joined by Kev Cumming and Gavin Thomson.

The visitors kicked off, playing towards the Barry end, but it was the Gowfers who had the first chance, after just two minutes, when Birmingham headed just wide from a Neath cross.

Three minutes later the Gowfers had another half-chance after Simpson sent in a good cross, but McIlravey shot just wide. In 15 minutes it was West Calder’s turn to have a chance when McLaughlin tried a long-range shot, but put the ball narrowly over the top.

Two minutes later, Bews had a good chance to open the Gowfer’s account, but McQuillan came out to make a great save.

In 20 minutes the Gowfers won a corner which was taken by McIlravey and when the ball came over, Kenneth got his head to it, but put it narrowly past McQuillan’s left-hand post.

Just on the half-hour mark, Sneddon ran on to a through ball from Paton and, spotting Ferrie off his line, tried to catch him out with a chipped ball, but the keeper got back to touch it over the bar, at the expense of a corner, which came to nothing.

Two minutes later, the Gowfers had a scare after Kenneth misjudged a long ball out of the visitor’s defence and it fell to Heeps, but he shot wide from the edge of the box.

In 36 minutes, the Gowfers had another half-chance after M. Scott picked out Simpson with a free-kick from 40 yards, but he headed the ball narrowly past McQuillan’s left-hand post.

They again went close five minutes later, when Birmingham fired in a low drive, but McQuillan got down well to make the save, at the second attempt.

Just on half-time, the visitors were awarded a free-kick which was taken by Sneddon, but Kenneth was able to get across and clear the ball away down field.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 0, West Calder United 0.

Five minutes after the restart, the Gowfers made their first change, with Birmingham making way for Cumming and a minute later, the visitors took the lead, after Paton, with the wind at his back, played a long ball over the heads of the Carnoustie defence and it was picked up by A. BROWN and as Ferrie came out to meet him, he lobbed it over the keeper’s head and into the net.

Two minutes later, the Gowfers had a chance to get back on level terms, after Cumming broke through, with only the keeper to beat, but McQuillan brought off a great save, to keep his side ahead.

The Gowfers were made to pay for that missed chance, two minutes later, when another long ball over the heads of their defence, was picked up, this time by McLAUGHLIN, who strode forward and drove it past Ferrie, for the visitor’s second.

With an hour on the watch, Cumming powered in a header, which appeared to strike a West Calder defender on the arm, and the Gowfers instantly appealed for a penalty, but the referee saw nothing wrong and waved play on, much to the annoyance of the Gowfer’s players and support.

In 65 minutes, the Gowfers made a second change, with Thomson replacing M. Scott. At this point, the visitors also decided to make a change with Heeps making way for Rennie.

In 74 minutes, the Gowfer’s defence was again caught out, after another long, wind-assisted ball over their heads, was collected by A. Brown, who ran into the box where he was pulled down by Ferrie, who was shown a yellow card for his trouble. SNEDDON took the resultant penalty and hammered the ball past Ferrie, giving him no chance and putting the tie beyond the Gowfer’s reach.

A minute later, the Gowfers made their third and final change, with Cook, who had taken a knock, going off to be replaced by Black.

In 81 minutes, the visitors made another change, with Adams going on to replace A. Brown.

Two minutes later, Cumming had the ball in the net, for the Gowfers, but the referee had spotted some pushing in the box and the goal was disallowed. Right on the whistle, Simpson was cautioned for a foul on Aitken.

Seconds later, the referee brought the tie to a close and so signalled the end of what must be the Gowfer’s worst result in the “Scottish” for many years.

Carnoustie Panmure : Ferrie, Cook, Neath, Millar, Robertson, Kenneth, McIlravey, Bews, M. Scott, Birmingham, Simpson. Substitutes – Buggins, Cumming, Black, Thomson, Macpherson (GK).

West Calder United: McQuillan, Aitken, L. Brown, Paton, Gardiner, Fleming, Sneddon, Fyffe, A. Brown, McLaughlin, Heeps. Substitutes – Scullion, Adams, Rennie, Carson.

Tomorrow, Saturday, the Gowfers are again on home turf, throwing out a welcome, this week to Ballingry Rovers for a match in the East Superleague. This tie was first scheduled for October 4, but had to be called off that morning after heavy rain overnight left the Laing Park pitch completely flooded.

The Fifers currently lie in 12th spot in the table and are two points better off than the Gowfers, both with ten games played, so as far as these two are concerned, this takes on the mantle of a six-pointer.

Last week, while the Gowfers crashed out of the Scottish Junior Cup, Rovers lost 2-0 to Musselburgh, so both sides will be eager to get back on track and another hard-fought encounter is on the cards. Kick-off will again be at 2 p.m.

Results: Kelty Hearts 3, Newtongrange Star 1; Camelon Juniors 3, Sauchie Juniors 0; Broxburn Athletic 4, Hill of Beath Hawthorn 0; Bonnyrigg Rose 2, Penicuik Athletic 0; Musselburgh Athletic 2, Ballingry Rovers 0. East


P W D L F A Pts

Kelty 10 8 2 0 32 9 26

Newtongrange 11 7 3 1 23 10 24

Linlithgow Rose 8 6 1 1 23 10 19

Bo’ness United 9 5 2 2 25 10 17

Musselburgh 11 5 2 4 17 16 17

Bonnyrigg Rose 10 5 1 4 21 16 16

Broxburn Ath. 11 3 5 3 15 14 14

Penicuik Ath. 10 4 2 4 14 19 14

Camelon Juniors 11 3 4 4 15 17 13

Hill of Beath 10 3 2 5 16 19 11

Sauchie Juniors 10 3 2 5 11 23 11

Ballingry Rovers 10 3 1 6 9 21 10

Fauldhouse Utd 11 1 5 5 16 20 8

Carnoustie 10 2 2 6 12 24 8

Lochee United 9 2 1 6 15 28 7

Armadale Thi. 9 1 3 5 12 20 6