Title holders prove too strong

Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 5, Carnoustie Panmure 3

ON SATURDAY, Carnoustie Panmure were back on the road, travelling this time to New Dundas Park to meet last season’s champions, Bonnyrigg Rose, in the McBookie.com East Superleague.

For the match manager Ian Gilzean made several changes to the side beaten so comprehensively the previous week by Musselburgh Athletic.

John Roberts, Mike McIlravey and Josh Perera were all on from the start with Steven Cook and Marc Scott both dropping to the bench and John Young being unavailable. Other bench spots went to Graeme Dailly and spare ‘keeper Paul Findlay.

The Gowfers kicked off and played the ball up their right for McIlravey to chase, but Thomson got there first and thumped it away downfield where Renton picked it up. But as he made his way forward, he was fouled by Ferguson who was immediately shown a yellow card with barely a minute on the watch. Roseburgh took the free kick, but blasted it off the defensive wall and it was cleared away by Perera.

In three minutes L. Scott hooked the ball in to Perera, but before he could get it under control, the referee adjudged that he had fouled Gemmell and awarded the homesters a free kick midway inside their own half. McLeish took the kick and played the ball forward towards Archibald, but Millar stepped in to block the ball away.

In 15 minutes the Gowfers had a half-chance after a long throw-in from Narey was knocked on by Perera to Clark, who tried a back-heel, but didn’t get enough weight behind it and Paterek had no trouble making the stop.

Two minutes later Neave became the second Carnoustie player to be cautioned, this for a foul on Archibald. Currie took the kick and played the ball forward and won a corner off Ferguson. Roseburgh took the kick, but Millar got up well to head clear.

In 20 minutes McLeish sent in a cross which was played out by Robertson for a corner. Roseburgh again took the kick and found WOODBURN at the back post and he headed home to put his side in front.

Two minutes later the Gowfers came close to levelling the tie after Roberts won the ball off Currie and played it into Clark who hit a rocket shot, from all of 30 yards, only to see it cannon off the bar, with the ‘keeper well beaten.

After coming so close, the Gowfers were stunned just two minutes later after Renton won a corner off Millar. Again, Roseburgh took, this time when the ball came over, although Woodburgh did get a touch, it went in off PERERA to put the Gowfers two behind.

Panmure didn’t give up and Neave made a good run up the left, but before he could get in a cross, McLeish got a toe in and touched the ball out for a fruitless throw-in. In 29 minutes Thomson became the first home player to be booked after he pulled down McIlravey. Clark took the resultant free kick, but sent it over the top and out behind.

In 40 minutes McIlravey made a great run up the right then tried a cross, but this was blocked by Thomson and went behind off McIlravey himself for a goal-kick. In 43 minutes the Gowfers got themselves back in the game with a well deserved counter. Ferguson played the ball in to Perera. He headed it on to CLARK who knocked his right-foot shot past the ‘keeper from 10 yards.

Half-time: Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 2, Carnoustie Panmure 1.

The home side set the ball rolling to start the second half and were rocked back on their heels within a minute when L. Scott played a great ball in to CLARK who hit it first time and volleyed it straight past Peterek giving him no chance.

The Gowfers came very close to edging in front after Clark was upended by Gemmell on the edge of the box. Clark took the kick himself and sent in a great shot which seemed to be heading for the top corner of the net, but Peterek threw himself to his left and made a great save, touching the ball round the post for a fruitless corner.

Still Carnoustie kept pushing forward and Narey sent Clark away on a good run, but McLeish put in a good saving tackle to clear his lines. In 56 minutes the Gowfer’s pressure paid off after they won a corner out on the left. McIlravey took the kick and when the ball came over, Paterek punched it away, but only as far as L. Scott who headed it back past him to put the Gowfers in front for the first time in the match.

Three minutes later the homesters made their first change with McLeish going off to make way for McKenna. Within seconds of coming on the substitute was in the thick of action and was spoken to by the referee for a foul on Neave on the edge of the Carnoustie box.

McPherson was then shown a yellow card for comments made to the refreee about the foul on Neave moments earlier. In 63 minutes the Gowfers made their first change with Narey being replaced by Cook.

Carnoustie were awarded another free kick when Gemmil brought down L. Scott and Millar took the kick, trying to find Perera, but Burrell nipped in to intercept and clear. In 66 minutes Rose made a double substitution with Thomson and Roseburgh making way for Gray and Shields.

Two minutes later Rose were on the attack trying to get back on level terms with Archibald linking with Sheilds who fired off a shot, but it was rather weak and McPherson had no trouble saving. In 71 minutes the Gowfers made a second change with Dailly taking over from Neave.

Back came the home side and Currie sent over a good cross, looking for Grady, but Cook got there first and headed the ball out for a corner. The kick was blocked away, sent in again and blocked away for a second time before falling to WOODBURN who drilled it home to level with 75 minutes gone.

From the restart McIlravey made another good run down the right then tried to feed it through to Clark, but Gemmell beat him to it and put it behind for a corner. Play surged up the right and the homesters won a free kick when McKenna was fouled by Robertson. Gray took the kick and picked out CURRIE who fired home from the edge of the box.

The home side kept pressing and in 85 minutes McKenna found Gray just inside the box, but again Cook came to the rescue and put the ball out for a corner. Gray took the kick and found Grady who was fouled by McPherson as he came out to claim the ball. He was immediately shown a red card and and Rose were awarded a penalty.

As they had already used their three substitutes, Perera had to go in goal for Carnoustie and face CURRIE who took the penalty and, although he got a hand to it, he couldn’t stop it going in.

Right on the whistle Rose got another penalty, but when the ball came over, Perera got up well to take it cleanly and the referee signalled the end of another disappointing afternoon for the Gowfers, made all the more so after having fought back from two down to lead, yet leave with nothing.


Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic: Paterek, McLeish (McKenna 59), Thomson (Gray 66), Gemmell, Woodburn, Burrell, Renton, Currie, Archibald, Grady, Roseburgh (Shields 66). Substitutes not used: Hamilton and Burgess (GK).

Carnoustie Panmure: McPherson, Narey (Cook 63), Ferguson, Millar, Robertson, L. Scott, McIlravey (M. Scott 77), Roberts, Neave (Dailly 71), Clark and Perera. Substitutes not used: Findlay (GK).

Referee: Mr Scott Millar, Edinburgh.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow, Saturday, the Gowfers are back on the road heading this time for Beechwood Park to meet Sauchie Juniors in the McBookie.com East Superleague.

Although the Gowfers haven’t visited the venue since November 1991, when they returned with a 2-0 win in a first round Scottish Cup tie, the pair have met already this season, when a poor performance by the Gowfers saw them crash 3-1 in the league at Laing Park, back in September.

With the Gowfers having lost their last three games, they will be desperate to get back on track and another hard game is on the cards. Kick-off will be at 2.30 p.m.


McBookie.com East Superleague – Musselburgh Athletic 1, Sauchie Juniors 2; Bonnyrig Rose 5, Carnoustie Panmure 3; Broxburn Athletic 3, Camelon 1; Hill of Beath 1, St Andrews United 3.