Two in a row for Gowfers

St Andrews United 0

Carnoustie Panmure 3

On Saturday Carnoustie Panmure travelled to Fife to meet St Andrews United in the East Superleague.

Although the Fife team finished below Carnoustie last season, this match resulted in a 2-2 draw.

St Andrews kicked off and forced an early corner off McIlravey which Mackie took, but Myles rose well to head clear. Cook then made a good run down the right, but his cross was too strong for Milne.

In 12 minutes a corner on the right was handled in the Gowfers’ box with a penalty awarded to St Andrews and, although this was hotly disputed by the Carnoustie players saying it was a St Andrews player who handled and after the referee consulted with his assistant, the outcome was the same.

The kick was taken by Sibanda who went for power and Ferrie made a great 
save to turn the ball away.

At the other end a long ball was chased by Milne and the keeper came out of his box to clear, but handled the ball, which should have seen him red-carded, but the referee chose to ignore it and played on. Webster then had a cross knocked down by Milne to McIlravey, but he shot wide.

St Andrews won a free-kick off Myles 35 yards out and Sibanda fired a fierce kick over the defensive wall, but Ferrie once again made a great save to punch the ball away.

In 35 minutes Carnoustie took the lead when they won a corner off Wederburn and Webster played a short one to Dailly who laid it back to him and his cross was headed into the corner of the net by MILLAR from six yards.

The second goal was only delayed a couple of minutes when, in 39 minutes, McIlravey made a great run up the right and his low cross was driven into the net by MILNE from close range. McIlravey was fouled out on the right by Drummond, but Webster’s free kick into the box was cleared by Buchan.

Carnoustie kept pressing and Black was fouled by Buchan on the right, but again Webster’s kick was headed clear, this time by Wederburn and at the other end, Sutherland made a run and crossed to Mackie, but his header was easily held by keeper Ferrie.

Half-time: St Andrews United 0, Carnoustie Panmure 2.

St Andrews stepped up the pace and forced a corner on the left, off Black, which was taken by Drummond, but Patrick headed past. Bews then had a chance when Dailly laid a ball to him across the edge of the box, but he blasted over. Patrick tried an effort from long range, but it was well over the bar.

Carnoustie then had three efforts on goal when. Firstly, Webster fired in a fierce drive which Cargill did well to punch clear, then he was called into action again when a knock down by Dailly was blasted in by McIlravey and he had to look sharp to punch clear again. Then Milne burst through and drove past the keeper from the edge of the box, but this time McKinnes made a great clearance off the line.

In 80 minutes Carnoustie sealed the victory when Bews played a great cross-field ball to McIlravey who got to the by line and sent in a low cross which was turned in at the near post by MILNE.

At this point St Andrews made three changes with McKinnes, Ramsay and Buchan being replaced by Morgan, Seeley and a trialist. Wederburn was booked for a foul on McIlravey 30 yards out, But although the kick by Webster got over the wall, it also went over the bar.

In 84 minutes Millar was booked for kicking the ball away. Carnoustie almost made it four when a corner by Webster was headed by Myles, but it was cleared off the line by McMullan.

Carnoustie Panmure - Ferrie, Cook, Myles, Millar, Roberts, Bews, Webster, Black, Dailly, Milne, McIlravey. Substitutes not used: Narey, M. Scott, Murison (T), Lawrence (T), Allardyce (T GK).

Referee: Mr David McKenzie, Glenrothes.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers are back in Fife, heading this time for Keir’s Park to meet Hill of Beath Hawthorn in the East Superleague. Kick-off is again scheduled for 2.30 p.m.

Results: East Superleague – Kelty Hearts 1, Hill of Beath Hawthorn 1; Sauchie Juniors 0, Bo’ness United 1; Musselburgh Athletic 1, Broxburn Athletic 2; Linlithgow Rose 3, Ballingry Rovers 2; Bonnyrigg Rose 0, Newtongrange Star 0; Armadale Thistle 0, Camelon Juniors 2; St Andrews United 0, Carnoustie Panmure 3; Lochee United 3, Tayport 0.