Understrength Panmure hold out for a point

AN UNDERSTRENGTH Carnoustie Panmure made the long trip to New Dundas Park to face Bonnyrigg Rose in the ACA Sports East Super League on Saturday.

With Josh Perera and Scott Gates both on holiday, Greg Beattie working off-shore, Scott Hunter on police training, and Stuart Ferguson, Alan McSkimming, Mark Matthew and Andy Cowan all injured, the Gowfers could muster only two substitutes, one of whom was assistant manager Graeme Christie.

Bonnyrigg had an early chance after Hendry was adjudged to have fouled Archibald some 30 yards out. From S. Thomson’s free kick, Gray fired the ball across the face of the goal without any of his team-mates getting atouch and Tonner was able to clear to safety.

In five minutes, a clearance by home ‘keeper Weir was collected by McCallum, who tried a long-range shot, but with the wind behind it, the ball flew high over the top and out for a goal kick.

Carnoustie won a corner off Gray in 13 minutes, but just as Cook was about to get his head to Clark’s cross, Weir got up to touch the ball behind for a second flag kick. Clark again took the kick, but this time his cross was intercepted by Dunn, who cleared the ball away.

The first substitution was made by Rose in 17 minutes when Gray was replaced by King.

Bonnyrigg again came close to opening the scoring when S. Thomson powered in a header from a Grady long throw, but McCafferty had no trouble making the save.

Moments later, McCallum headed well wide of McCafferty’s left-hand post.

In 26 minutes, McIlravey fed Cumming, who laid the ball off to Clark, but as he moved to collect the pass, he was brought down by King 35 yards out. Milne took the free kick, but fired the ball well wide of Weir’s right-hand post.

Four minutes later, Roberts tripped Palizcka and was promptly shown the yellow card. S. Thomson’s free kick was missed by Tonner, allowing McCallum to chip the ball goalwards, but McCafferty rose to clutch it safely.

Rose again came close in 42 minutes when an Archibald long throw picked out Palizcka, who tried a shot, but Millar was on hand to clear off the line.

Half-time: Bonnyrigg Rose 0, Carnoustie Panmure 0.

On the restart, Bonnyrigg were first to show and came close to snatching an early goal after McCallum linked with Archibald, whose rocket shot from 12 yards struck his own player S. Thomson and was deflected narrowly past the outside of McCafferty’s right-hand post.

In 51 minutes, Carnoustie won a free kick out on the right touchline when Cumming was tripped by S. Thomson. Clark took the kick and fired the ball in low and hard, but Weir got down well to save at the base of his left-hand upright.

Two minutes later, Millar made a hash of an attempted clearance and put the ball straight to Grady, who ran into the box and went down after clashing with Hendry for what appeared a stonewall penalty, but the referee thought otherwise and waved play on, much to the relief of the Gowfers’ players and support.

Carnoustie made a change in 56 minutes, replacing Narey with Robertson.

In 68 minutes, the Gowfers came close to opening their account when Roberts fed Clark, who advanced to the edge of the box before drilling in a low shot, but Weir got down to make a great save right on the line.

Next minute, Cook fired the ball low and hard across the face of the home goal, but the inrushing Milne just failed to get the vital touch and another chance had gone abegging.

Carnoustie were again unlucky not to take the lead in 76 minutes when Clark sent a free kick right into the Rose goalmouth and Hendry got a touch only to see the ball blocked off the line and cleared away by Morrice.

Back at the other end, Tonner was deemed to have fouled Archibald on the edge of the box. S. Thomson got the free kick up and over the wall, but the ball crashed back off McCafferty’s right-hand post and was cleared by Hendry.

The Gowfers were forced to face an anxious final few minutes after being reduced to 10 men in 88 minutes when Cumming was shown a straight red card for foul and abusive language towards the referee, who had awarded a free kick to the home side.

After some three minutes of stoppage time, the referee brought proceedings to a close and despite having been under severe pressure for long spells, the Gowfers had another point in the bag.


Bonnyrigg Rose - Weir, McLeish, Morrice, Ewart, Dunn, Gray (King 17), Grady, S. Thomson, Archibald, McCallum, Palizcka. Substitutes, not used - Bunyan, Hendrie, Thomson, Steele, Amos (gk).

Carnoustie Panmure - McCafferty, Tonner, Roberts, Millar, Narey (Robertson 56), Hendry, McIlravey, Cumming, Clark, Milne, Cook. Substitute, not used - Christie.

Referee, P. Reid, Edinburgh.

ACA Sports East Super League

P W L D F A Pts

Bo’ness United 2 2 0 0 10 0 6

Mussel’ Athletic 2 2 0 0 9 2 6

Bonnyrigg Rose 2 1 0 1 3 1 4

Linlithgow Rose 2 1 0 1 5 4 4

Bathgate Thistle 2 1 0 1 3 2 4

Camelon 2 1 1 0 3 2 3

Lochee United 2 1 1 0 5 5 3

Carn’ Panmure 2 0 0 2 2 2 2

Beath Haw 2 0 1 1 4 6 1

St Andrews Utd 2 0 2 0 4 8 0

Kelty Hearts 2 0 2 0 1 5 0

Forfar WE 2 0 2 0 1 13 0

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), Carnoustie welcome Linlithgow Rose to Laing Park in the ACA Sports East Super League. Kick-off time is 2.30 p.m.


Next Saturday, September 17, Carnoustie will be away to Dundee Downfield in the first round of the East of Scotland Cup, and this will be followed by an away league fixture against St Andrews United on September 24.

A date for the GA Engineering Cup preliminary round tie against Arbroath Vics has now been announced. It will be played at Laing Park on October 1 with the winners to be at home to Montrose Roselea in the first round proper.

The final of the D.J. Laing League Cup against Lochee United has been fixed for October 15, but the venue has still to be arranged.

Managers’ comments

MANAGER Ian Gilzean was happy with the point gained at Bonnyrigg on Saturday especially with so few of his players available.

He explained: “It was a good point as we really didn’t create many chances and we couldn’t change things about as we only had one sub.

“We defended well as we were down to 10 men for the last five or 10 minutes so it would have been smash and grab if we had got the goal.

“But I think we can be happy with our point.

Tomorrow (Saturday) the Gowfers will face a tough home match against Linlithgow Rose and the boss thinks it will be a real test for his players.

He added: “Linlithgow have won many trophies over the years and are one of the bigger clubs in junior football.

“They have set the benchmark so playing them will allow us to see just how far we have come since making the step up.

“We can’t give them too much respect because if we do they will just destroy us but if we make it hard for them there’s no reason why we can’t get a result.”

“We should have a lot more bodies back this weekend although Kevin Cumming will still be suspended.”