Victory for Fed at windswept Broxburn

BROUGHTY Athletic travelled across the Forth on Saturday to play Broxburn at the impressive Albyn Park in a Premier League fixture. It was one of only two games which escaped the weather in the league, both being played on an artificial surface.

The Fed were well and truly down to the bare bones for the trip with only 12 players available due to a variety of reasons. A debut was handed to new loan signing Ross Browne and the starting 11 also saw the return of Gavin Burns who recently came back to the club from his loan spell with Dundee North End.

With driving wind and sleet as kick-off approached it was always going to be difficult for both sets of players.

In the early exchanges both sides saw plenty of the ball with possession relatively even.

The Fed thought they had opened the scoring in the 18th minute when, after a good passage of play involving Myles, Lunan and Browne, the ball was played through to Dailly who finished well from a tight angle. The nearside linesman, however, raised his flag for an offside decision which was, to say the least, marginal.

The home side responded with a good move on their left 10 minutes later when Young did well to find space and fire in a cross. The ball was met by the onrushing Morrison who saw his shot from the edge of the box well saved by Broughty ‘keeper McPherson.

The home side had a chance a couple of minutes later when striker Jeffery fired in a shot from distance using the strong wind but it was gathered by the Fed goalie.

From a Farquharson free kick in 38 minutes Broughty created a half chance but Myles’ dangerous header into space found no takers and the ball was cleared by the Burn defence.

Right on half-time Browne found space and crossed into the box but again there was no one there for the finish.

Half-time: Broxburn Athletic 0, Broughty Athletic 0.

Broughty now had the elements in their favour for the second half in a game which looked very much like the first goal could win it.

The Fed forced a corner within the first few minutes and Burns was inches away from connecting with a header.

MacLeod was next up when he raced forward although his shot from outside the box lacked power and was saved by ‘keeper Malley.

Debutant Ross Browne made a telling contribution in the 60th minute when he found space on the right after good work from Myles. His cross into the box appeared to catch out MALLEY who rushed into a ruck of players only to parry the ball into his own net.

That forced the home side forward and in the 79th minute of the game the dangerous Jeffery saw his shot tipped onto the post by the Broughty ‘keeper.

The Burn were now seeing more of the ball and pushing for the equaliser although the Fed defenders were doing well and dealing with any danger.

Broughty were content to see the game out and hit on the counter attack for the remaining few minutes which they did to secure a hard-earned win and three points.

Manager’s comment

Manager Kenny Cameron expressed the hope that Broughty Athletic’s victory in Broxburn, the fourth Fed win from seven away fixtures, would be a source of confidence in the remaining eight Premier League matches.

He commented: “Albyn Park is always a difficult place to get a result. That was Broxburn’s first defeat at home in the league this season and my players will again take great confidence from their performance and the result.

“It is such a tight league and we have shown that on our day we can definitely compete at this level, but I will now be looking for us to show more consistency in our remaining games.”

Match frozen off

CARNOUSTIE Panmure’s match, a G.A. Engineering Cup-tie against Montrose Roselea, was again the victim of the frosty weather on Saturday. There were high hopes that the tie would go ahead, but overnight frost on Thursday and Friday meant that the pitch was frozen solid when the committee arrived on Saturday morning and there was no alternative but to postpone the game.

Only about a dozen out of 80 games managed to beat the weather. In the absence of a competitive match, Gowfers’ manager, Ian Gilzean, took his squad down to the Leisure Centre for a training session.

Tomorrow’s match

With region secretary John Reilly hoping to get the second round of the G.A. Engineering Cup played later this month, the Gowfers and Roselea will try again to get their first round tie settled.

Kick-off will be at 2 p.m.

ACA Sports East Super League

P W L D F A Pts

Hill o Beath 12 7 1 4 30 14 25

Linlithgow 12 6 3 3 26 19 21

Bonnyrigg 9 6 2 2 25 14 20

Bathgate 13 5 3 5 22 21 20

Camelon 10 5 3 2 17 15 17

Bo’ness 9 5 2 2 21 10 17

Musselburgh 12 3 6 3 31 32 12

Kelty Hearts 10 3 1 2 12 13 11

St Andrews 12 3 7 2 19 30 11

Lochee 10 3 5 2 23 22 11

Carnoustie 9 1 6 2 10 22 5