VIDEO: Lichties so close to making their point

Arbroath 1, Rangers 2

Arbroath were four minutes away from ending Rangers’ 100 per cent league record away from home at Gayfield.

Paul McManus cancelled out a Jon Daly header and looked to have grabbed a point for Paul Sheerin’s men in a cracking game.

Arbroath boss Paul Sheerin

Arbroath boss Paul Sheerin

But Fraser Aird bundled home a second with four minutes to go to seal victory for the Light Blues.

Arbroath forged an opening in the second minute. A poor clearance by Peralta was collected by Sheerin and his cross for McManus was nodded down to Nicol who shot narrowly over.

The Lichties troubled Rangers again seven minutes later when Linn robbed Foster to get a sight of goal. However, his effort from edge of the box trundled wide.

The Light Blues broke to the other end when Peralta crossed for Clark, who directed a diving header off target.

Arbroath were holding their own and won a corner in 14 minutes. Sheerin’s kick found Travis who rose to head inches over.

Four minutes later, a free kick was cleared to Nicol whose powerful strike was cleared to Linn. He smashed in a cracking first time shot which was straight at Bell.

Despite Arbroath holding their own, Rangers grabbed the lead in 19 minutes. A corner from Aird was perfect for JON DALY whose rose unmarked to power a header into the net from 10 yards.

Crawford tried his luck with a shot from the edge of the box in 24 minutes but Wood was equal to the task.

Paul Sheerin’s men tried to get back into the game and Linn broke away on the left and let fly with a rasping effort which had Bell beaten but was into the side net.

Aird was so close to making it two with a belter of a shot from 20 yards which came off the underside of the crossbar.

Sheerin showed some of his magic, wriggling away from three players before flighting in a cross just cleared by McCulloch from McManus.

Half-time: Arbroath 0, Rangers 1.

Travis almost scored a spectacular own goal seconds after the restart when he headed towards his own goal from a Peralta cross but it came off the bar.

Linn sent away on the left but he blasted his cross way too high for McManus.

Arbroath levelled the match in 63 minutes. Faure fluffed a clearance straight to PAUL McMANUS who coolly slotted home from 20 yards under the diving Bell.

Long throw from Travis cleared to Sheerin in 68 minutes, but the gaffer screwed his shot well wide.

Crawford broke away from an Arbroath corner kick and flighted it into Foster, but he couldn’t finish under pressure.

Daly incurred the wrath of the home fans when he got involved in 80 minutes but was only yellow carded.

Arbroath should have levelled deep into injury time when a Sheerin free kick was headed at goal by Travis, but Keddie shot over when it looked easier to score.


Arbroath: Wood, Travis, Hamilton, Nicol, Keddie, Lindsay, Linn, Chisholm, McManus, Cook, Sheerin. Subs: Yao, Robertson, Scott, McWalter, Thomson, Adams, Morrison.

Rangers: Bell, Foster, Faure, Aird, Wallace, McCulloch, Peralta, Hutton, Daly, Clark, Crawford,. Subs: Shiels, Smith, Gallagher, Hegarty, Cribari, Telfer, Simonsen.

Referee: Euan Donaldson.

Attendance: 3,400.