Carnoustie High School FPs on song in rearranged match against Waid Academy

Waid Academy 8,

Carnoustie HSFP 35

Carnoustie travelled to Anstruther on Saturday to play Waid Academy in a game previously cancelled because of an unplayable pitch.

The ground was soft, but clear of standing water and the weather was poor with a strong cold wind blowing down the field.

The visitors started the game with Waid fielding and running the ball back. However, the carrier had the ball stripped away allowing FPs to make ground into their opponents’ half with a counter attack.

A chip over the top was carried out of play, bringing the scrum back to the point of kick. In their next foray Carnoustie again kicked with the same result.

The visitors continued to monopolise the ball and playing it quickly through the hands allowed CRAIG ADDISON to find space and run strongly to touch down. The conversion failed to reach the posts.

Play continued to be in FPs favour, but Waid held out and ultimately made ground into the Carnoustie half. The home scrum was solid, but the link at half-back poor, allowing the defence to snuff out any attempted back play.

Helped by a succession of penalties, the homesters pressed deep into the Carnoustie 22, but the FPs’ defence was solid and composed, and on several occasions they turned the ball over and cleared.

The Angus men gradually worked their way upfield with two breaks into the home 22, but neither yielded anything. They then changed tactics and opted to kick a penalty which BRUCE LANGLANDS converted.

Half-time: Waid Academy 0, Carnoustie HSFP 8.

Academy got the second half under way and almost immediately Carnoustie took a stranglehold on the game.

The scrum dominated with well controlled driving and scrums against the head. The fringe defence was sound, not only stopping any breaks close to the scrum, but taking the ball away from the ball carrier.

Most of the visitors’ moves came down the right wing with the back row making the initial yards and the centres breaching the defence allowing the wingers room to move.

ANDREW FRANCO crossed twice in the corner, with a further break on the same wing being finished off by flanker KEVIN FRANCO who was in support of the wide man. Another try came from the same route, but from much deeper, with JASON DONNACHIE racing some 40 yards downfield to touch down.

The pattern was broken by OWEN HUGHES who broke at midfield, passed out, but stayed in support to take a return pass and touch down. Only one of these tries was converted.

Concentration lapsed towards the end with Waid converting a penalty and scoring a consolation try wide on the left, but with no conversion. 

This was a game of two halves with the first half littered with penalties and indiscipline. The second half was played at a much greater pace with good movement and support. This was a good team effort exemplified by Danny Findlay playing his first game after 17 months with a serious injury.

Team : Nicholson, Shepherd, Addison, Van Niekirk, Donnachie, Langlands, Findlay, Murray, Bowles, Scott, Millar, Macdonald, Reid, K. Franco, Hughes, A. Franco, Barnett, Fraser, Rankin.


With a Six Nations match tomorrow (Saturday), Carnoustie’s next game is on February 15 away to Crieff and Strathearn who currently sit on the same points as Carnoustie. This will be a 3 p.m. kick-off.

RBS Caledonia League

Division Three Midlands


Howe 2nd XV 12 11 1 0 11 0 55

Blair RFC 13 9 4 0 8 2 46

Carn HSFP 11 9 2 0 8 1 45

C & S 13 8 4 1 9 2 45

Fife S 14 6 7 1 3 1 30

Kirk’ 2nd XV 12 5 7 0 5 1 26

Waid FP 14 4 10 0 5 0 21

Bannockburn 13 4 9 0 2 0 18

Grange’ 2nd XV 13 3 10 0 1 2 15

Glen’ 2nd XV 12 1 11 0 1 0 5