FPs rack up 83 points in victory

editorial image

Carnoustie 83, Blairgowrie 25

Carnoustie entertained Blairgowrie in a league return match, having won the away game by a margin of 21 points. The conditions overhead were good, but the pitch was wet in places and very heavy.

Carnoustie kicked off with Blairgowrie fielding and clearing to touch. FPs won the line-out and sent the ball wide with Blairgowrie stopping the move, but then fumbling the ball and from the scrum Carnoustie again went wide and when stopped, drove strongly and recycled, for CHRIS RANKIN to find a gap to run into and touch down, but without the conversion.

From the restart Carnoustie fielded and broke down the wing, recycled and ran the ball infield with KENNY WATT touching down, and again the conversion was missed. Carnoustie, at the restart went offside and Blairgowrie kicked the penalty. Blairgowrie fielded the restart, but Carnoustie turned the ball over, but mishandled and from the scrum the visitors cleared.

FPs won the line-out and drove strongly before recycling with DANNY VAN WYK stepping inside his opponent to run through, touch down and convert. Blairgowrie restarted and gathered the ball, setting up a good drive, recycling and sending the ball to the winger who crossed over to touch down, but the conversion was missed.

Carnoustie restarted with Blairgowrie fielding, but the attempted clearance was partially charged down, allowing Carnoustie to field, run the ball back, set up a ruck and drive with ADAM SCHWEIZER breaking off and driving over to touch down, with the conversion added. Blairgowrie restarted and when Carnoustie were penalised the visitors took advantage to gain a further three points.

The restart was fielded by FPs with Nathan Bowles breaking down the wing, but being forced into touch. Carnoustie knocked on at the line-out, but when Blairgowrie attempted to break from the scrum, the ball carrier was held up and from the scrum Carnoustie sent the ball out for centre JAMIE MCLAREN to dummy and stroll to the line, with the conversion added.

The restart was fielded and driven, recycled and run wide, driven again and again sent through the hands, but Danny Van Wyk was held up over the line. Blairgowrie cleared from the scrum and Carnoustie ran the ball back, but again the ball was held up.

Blairgowrie ran the ball from the scrum, but it was turned over and Carnoustie chipped the ball into space, which Blairgowrie knocked on and from the scrum DANNY VAN WYK crossed to touch down and convert. Carnoustie fielded the restart with Mike Downie running strongly down the wing, but being forced to touch, bringing the half to an end.

Half time - Carnoustie 38, Blairgowrie 11.

Blairgowrie started with Carnoustie fielding and running the ball, gaining a penalty, winning the lineout and driving with OWEN HUGHES touching down and with the conversion added.

Blairgowrie restarted with FPs again fielding and running with the ball, going wide, then back infield for DANNY VAN WYK to finish off and convert. Blairgowrie then established field position and drove well from a tapped penalty, but Carnoustie turned the ball over and cleared.

Carnoustie worked up field and from a scrum OWEN HUGHES broke and ran unchallenged to touch down and from the kick off, FPs again ran the ball and broke into centre field for the forwards to take over and KENNY WATT to touch down, both tries being converted. Blairgowrie fielded a loose clearance and ran the ball back, won a scrum and then gained a penalty which was tapped and run, piercing some slack defending to score and convert.

Carnoustie kicked deep with Blairgowrie fielding and running the ball back and, with quick hands and changes of direction, ran some 80 yards to touch down, for a fine try which they converted. There was then a period of indecisive midfield play before FPs raised their game to drive a line-out and recycle for CHRIS RANKIN to run through and touch down and minutes later Carnoustie set up a solid drive to the line this time with CRAIG DAWSON getting the touch down.

The referee indicated there was a minute left to play and Blairgowrie restarted with Carnoustie fielding feeding the ball to MIKE DOWNIE, who was already in full stride and he left the entire defence in his wake to touch down at the posts with the conversion added.

Team - L. Thoms, J. Donnachie, J. McLaren, C. Rankin, M. Downie, D. Van Wyk, D. Findlay, A. Schweizer, K. Watt, C. Dawson, O. Schweizer, N. Baldzana, A. Franco, N. Bowles, D. Thomas, O. Hughes, I. Reid, K. Franco. 

There is a festive double header with Carnoustie 2nd XV playing Stobswell RFC on December 27 at home and the return match on January 3 at Stobswell, both with a 2 p.m. kick off.

There will be a soup and sandwich/pie lunch before the game on 27th served at the club lounge in The Stag’s head from 12.30 p.m., to which all supporters and 1st XV players are welcome.