Good victory for High School FPs

CARNOUSTIE faced Stirling University on Saturday and the students got the game under way.

FPs won a scrum in midfield, kicked and followed up fast catching the visitors in possession and causing the ball to be mishandled. The homesters won the scrum, and sent the ball into midfield where Craig Addison took it at pace to break the defensive line and touch down. Niall Swanson added full points.

Both teams had their share of possession before the homesters won a scrum and drove, gained and tapped a penalty and set up several drives before Owen Hughes touched down on the line, but it was too far out for the conversion to be added.

Stirling then won a scrum and drove wide, gaining a penalty which was converted.

The homesters restarted, caught the ball fielder in possession but knocked on. They took the scrum against the head and sent the ball wide only for the university team to intercept and charge to the line to touch down. The conversion was missed.

Half-time: Carnoustie 12, Stirling University 8.

The homesters started the second half but Stirling won the first scrum from which they kicked and gained a penalty which was converted.

From the restart the visitors knocked on and FPs won the scrum. They drove forward and Stewart Millar touched down. Niall Swanson added the full points.

The students won a scrum and headed forward but let the ball go loose for FPs to pick up and kick. From the line-out Stirling cleared upfield, where the homesters won the scrum ball again. They worked it forward until a pass was intercepted, but the defence scrambled back and stopped the move momentarily. However, the students won the ball on the ground and drove over the line, adding full points.

FPs restarted with the visitors fielding and driving, but turned the ball over and then drove only to knock the ball on. Carnoustie then took the line-out against the throw and set up a series of drives ending with Gavin Dissel touching down. Niall Swanson added full points.

Penalties were exchanged with the visitors using theirs to good effect. They drove hard and gained a further penalty which they tapped and drove, this time crossing for the touchdown. They failed to add full points.

Team: N. Bowles, D. Nicholson, I. Cook, C. Addison, A. Shepherd, N. Swanson, C. Jeffrey, T. Hall, G. Feighan, C. Dawson, S. Millar, G. Dissel, I. Reid, S. Esposito, O. Hughes, M. Cowan and J. Pattullo.

The next game is away to Blairgowrie on Saturday, February 11, with a 3 p.m. kick-off.