League leaders sent home to think again

Carnoustie v Alloa
Carnoustie v Alloa

Carnoustie 27, Alloa 14

On Saturday Carnoustie entertained current league leaders Alloa, having drawn the corresponding away game.

The overhead conditions were good, but the pitch was soft and heavy.

FPs got the game going with kicks being exchanged between the sides, before Carnoustie won a line-out, only to be penalised. Touch was found and again kicks exchanged before the home side broke the line, but the Alloa cover was solid.

At the next scrum Carnoustie were again penalised and the visitors found touch and set up a series of drives before FPs turned the ball over, but then kicked the ball out on the full.

With the line-out close to the home line, the ball went loose and Alloa reacted quickest to gather and touch down for the opening score, which went unconverted. Carnoustie restarted and retrieved the ball which they ran, but knocked on.

They took the scrum against the head and fed DANNY VAN WYK who chipped ahead, re-gathered to touch down and added the conversion.

The restart kick was knocked on and Carnoustie then conceded a penalty, giving Alloa field position and from a scrum the visitors attempted a drop goal, which was wide of the posts.

From the drop out, the visitors ran the ball back, before driving, but the ball carrier was held up and the ball cleared. Alloa then gained a penalty, found touch and drove the line-out, but failed to release on the ground, giving Carnoustie the chance to clear.

The visitors returned to the attack with the aid of a penalty, but Carnoustie made a strong break downfield, but the ball went loose and the visitors cleared. The homesters then gave Alloa field position by not throwing straight at a line-out, enabling them to convert a penalty.

The visitors knocked on the restart with Carnoustie driving from the scrum, but being forced to touch by a solid Alloa defence. This brought the half to an end.

Half-time: Carnoustie 7, Alloa 8.

Alloa restarted with Carnoustie fielding and breaking up field, only to drop the ball. Kicks were exchanged before the visitors drove from a line-out and then put the ball through the hands, but were pulled up for a forward pass. Carnoustie won the scrum, but the clearance kick was charged down and the ball broke awkwardly with the Alloa player putting the boot to ball, which ran dead.

From the drop out, Carnoustie gained a penalty and found touch, but again the throw wasn’t straight and from scrum ball, FPs gained a further penalty, but missed the posts with the kick.

From the drop out Carnoustie gained a penalty, secured good line-out ball and sent the ball wide before setting up a drive, recycling the ball and going through the hands with MICHAEL DOWNIE finishing off and DANNY VAN WYK converting.

From the restart Carnoustie conceded a penalty, which Alloa converted. The visitors fielded the restart and immediately gained a penalty, but the home team won good line-out ball and drove before going through the hands, but then knocked on.

They then kicked high into the twenty two, allowing the visitors to make a mark and clear, but Carnoustie again drove the line-out and gained a penalty, which DANNY VAN WYK converted.

Alloa restarted and Carnoustie made a mess of fielding the ball, which they scrambled to touch, almost at the goal line and the visitors drove the line-out, but FPs stood strong and, when the ball was recycled, were deemed to have deliberately knocked on. Alloa gratefully took the points on offer.

From the restart Carnoustie gained a penalty and found touch and the line-out was driven, but the ball carrier was forced to touch.

Continued on page 45

They fought their way up field again, gained a penalty, which was tapped and driven, but held up at the line. The scrum was won and the ball sent down the blind side where DANNY VAN WYK dummied to the posts and ran through a gap to touch down, but failed with the conversion.

At the restart Alloa pressed forward and drove, gained a penalty, and drove again, but deep in the home twenty two the ball went loose, only to be picked up by MICHAEL DOWNIE who knocked three defenders out of his way and ran round the last man to touch down. The conversion was missed and the game restarted, but at the first break down the referee brought the game to an end and gave the home side a most valuable win with a bonus point.

Team: R. Coates, J. Donnachie, C. Addison, G. Johns, M. Downie, D. Van Wyk, C. Rankin, D. Campbell, K. Watt, A. Schweizer, O. Schweizer, O. Hughes, A. Franco, I. Reid, D. Van Niekirk, C. Dawson, S. Millar, E. Fraser, K. Franco, D. Findlay, J. McLaren and N. Bowles.

Tomorrow’s Match

Tomorrow (Saturday), Carnoustie are away to Howe of Fife who they beat comfortably in the home fixture at the beginning of November. This may be an early kick-off with the time to be confirmed. 

Results – Grangemouth Stags RFC 70, Panmure 3; Carnoustie HSFP 27, Alloa 14; Madras Rugby 7, Stirling University RFC 30; Harris Academy FP RFC 83, Kinross 5; Blairgowrie RFC v Howe of Fife 2nd XV, postponed.

BT Caledonia League Division Two Midlands


Alloa 14 10 3 1 10 0 52

Harris Acad 12 10 2 0 10 0 50

Carnoustie 12 10 1 1 6 1 49

Grangemouth 12 8 4 0 10 1 43

Stirling Uni* 12 6 6 0 6 2 29

Kinross 14 5 9 0 5 1 26

Howe 2nds 11 4 7 0 5 2 23

Madras 12 5 7 0 5 0 22

Panmure* 13 2 11 0 2 0 3

Blairgowrie* RFC 12 1 11 0 0 1 2

*Points deduction applied.