No joy for FPs at Kinross

Kinross 23, Carnoustie 14

CARNOUSTIE got off to the worst possible start in their return league game when a car carrying four players broke down. They eventually arrived well after kick-off time.

With no warm up time, FPs kicked off with Kinross fielding and kicking and with Carnoustie returning to touch. The homesters kicked from the line-out with the visitors fielding and running the ball back and gaining a penalty from a high tackle. Touch was found, but the line-out throw wasn’t straight and Carnoustie were penalised at the scrum.

Kinross tapped and drove the ball to gain a further penalty from which they found touch, won the line-out and rucked the ball. They released their backs who broke through several tackles to touch down at the posts and convert.

Carnoustie restarted with the homesters fielding, only to put the ball out on the full. The line-out was brought back to the home 22 and was won by FPs who went through the hands, but couldn’t retain the ball. At the scrum, the home players conceded a free kick which was tapped and a penalty drawn, but the ball fell short of the posts.

Kinross fielded and cleared to touch and penalties were then exchanged in a scrappy passage of play before the home side failed to throw in straight at a line-out and Carnoustie won the scrum and drove forward, releasing the backs who chipped ahead. Kinross fielded, but under severe pressure miskicked the clearance, which Dean Nicholson caught and fed to his forwards allowing them to drive several phases before TOM HALL touched down and NIALL SWANSON converted.

The visitors fielded the restart and ran the ball, recycled and drove, but didn’t capitalise on it when they knocked on. A penalty was gained from the scrum, but again the posts were missed. Kinross were then awarded a penalty which they tapped and drove and gained a further penalty which they converted.

FPs restarted with the home team fielding and finding touch, but conceding a penalty at the line-out. Carnoustie tapped and drove, but were also penalised and Kinross found touch, won the line-out and set up a series of drives gaining a further penalty which was tapped and, going through the hands, found space out wide to cross. The conversion failed and the half was brought to an end.

Half-time: Kinross 15, Carnoustie 7.

Kinross restarted and FPs fielded and drove strongly before kicking. From a scrum well in their own half, Carnoustie heeled the ball cleanly and, with good fast hands, sent CRAIG ADDISON into space. With strong running, he broke clean through to touch down at the posts with the conversion again added by NIALL SWANSON.

The homesters restarted with Carnoustie fielding and finding touch and gaining a penalty at the line-out, which also found touch, but the throw-in wasn’t straight at the line-out. The visitors drove from the scrum, but were penalised. Kinross failed to find touch, but FPs knocked the ball on and from the scrum in midfield. The homesters heeled cleanly and with quick hands released their winger down the touch line to score in the corner, but this time the conversion failed.

Carnoustie restarted with kicks exchanged and another scrappy passage of play was ended when Kinross took a scrum against the head and kicked long down the wing. FPs scrambled back to touch down in goal, but knocked on from the drop out and were penalised at the scrum.

Kinross missed the posts, but the ball was short and Carnoustie were forced to clear and in attempting to do so knocked on and compounded the situation further by conceding a penalty in front of the posts. The penalty was converted and the game was brought to an end.

Team: L. Thom, D. Nicholson, C. Addison, C. Rankin, D. Lawton, N. Swanson, C. Jeffrey, T. Hall, N. Bowles, C. Murray, S. Millar, R.Coates, K. Franco, J. Christie, O. Hughes, A. Shepherd, I. Reid and J. Donnachie.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday) Carnoustie are away to Glenrothes with a 2 p.m. kick-off.