On form students give no quarter

Stirling University 71, Carnoustie 21

CARNOUSTIE High School FPs travelled to Bridge of Allan on Saturday to play second-placed Stirling University.

On a good pitch, with dry overhead conditions and little wind the visitors got the game under way with the students fielding and kicking.

Tony Coffield fielded the ball and ran it back, but it was turned over and Stirling again kicked with Carnoustie fielding and clearing to touch.

FPs then drove well before going through the hands and gaining a penalty from which touch was found, but the line-out was lost and the students kicked. The visitors again cleared to touch.

Uni won the line-out and kicked high, following up fast and in numbers, enabling them to take the high ball and run to the line with the conversion added.

FPs restarted and Stirling fielded and kicked, with Carnoustie fielding and running the ball, before kicking, but they failed to find touch, allowing the students to run wide at pace before returning the ball inside for a touchdown and conversion.

The visitors restarted with a short ball which was gathered and driven, and then run, but the ball carrier was stopped. The students won the scrum and with good handling outstripped the defence out wide to touchdown and convert.

Carnoustie again kicked off and regathered the ball and with two good breaks by the forwards, KYLE BURWOOD backed up to take the offload and then drove hard to the line to score with NIALL SWANSON converting.

The homesters restarted but knocked on. FPs won the scrum and broke, but turned the ball over allowing Stirling to run at a disorganised defence to score out wide, but without the conversion.

FPs restarted with Stirling fielding and, given too much space, they again spread the ball to cross and convert. Carnoustie again kicked off with Stirling fielding, kicking to touch and winning the line-out, but the ball was knocked on. From the scrum the visitors went wide with Kyle Burwood breaking and kicking and with the students returning the kick, but then stopping the fielder illegally

From the penalty, FPs found touch, before setting up two strong drives to gain a further penalty, but the kick went wide of the posts. Stirling cleared, but the visitors fielded and drove, only to lose the ball. Carnoustie took the next scrum, but again lost the ball and with Stirling handling well they again crossed and converted.

Half-time: Stirling University 40, Carnoustie 7.

The students restarted with Carnoustie fielding and kicking, before taking the line-out ball and breaking upfield at pace, but when stopped they conceded a penalty. The ball was recovered and a penalty gained and tapped, driven, a further penalty gained and with two strong drives, splintered the defence, with KYLE BURWOOD again on hand to take the final pass and touchdown at the posts with the conversion added.

University restarted with FPs fielding and kicking, then conceding a penalty which Stirling tapped, ran strongly to break the defence, touched down and converted. The Angus outfit’s problems continued with Stirling scoring three more tries, with one converted and they were then reduced to 13 men with a 10 minute sin binning and a sending off.

When they got back to 14 men, Carnoustie won a scrum and drove forward, recycling quickly before eventually TOM HALL pierced the defence to touch down with the conversion added.

The students restarted and FPs fielded and drove, gaining a penalty which they tapped and went wide only to drop the ball, which allowed Stirling to win the scrum and go wide and touchdown, but without the conversion.

Time was running out and the visitors again drove strongly but could not cross before the final whistle was blown.

Carnoustie had no answer to the pace and handling skills of the home side, but in other aspects of the game, held their own.

Team: Coffield, Burwood, Addison, Donnachie, Swanson, Shepherd, Hall, Bowles, Murray, Fraser, Millar, Franco, Reid, Paxton, Lynch, Ringsell, Dow and Findlay.

Tomorrow’s match

Carnoustie play Madras away tomorrow (Saturday) with a 2 p.m. kick-off.