Students too strong for FPs

Stirling University 58, Carnoustie 13

CARNOUSTIE High School FPs travelled to Bridge of Allan on Saturday to play Stirling University for the first time in a number of years, but with several first team players unable to travel.

The students got the game under way and when FPs were stopped and held up in midfield, the homesters won the subsequent scrum and Carnoustie were penalised. The students won the line-out and gained a further penalty for offside, but the kick went wide. FPs could not clear their lines from the dropout, allowing the home team to charge down a kick, gather the ball and break through the centre to touch down and add full points.

Carnoustie restarted, but the homesters picked up the ball, moved it out to the left and a great run saw them break through the visitors’ defence to score another try, which they converted.

The visitors again restarted, with Stirling taking and kicking deep into visiting territory, but, although Tom Hall got back to clear the immediate danger, he was forced into touch. From the line-out, the students knocked on, which allowed FPs to gain field position with Colin Jeffrey running at the defence. Carnoustie then set up a drive to gain a penalty, which Gavin Dissel converted.

The homesters restarted the game, with FPs fielding and kicking. Carnoustie were caught offside, giving the home team another three points. The visitors restarted, fielded the kick, and drove strongly, which resulted in the students conceding a penalty and their scrum half was shown a red card. From the resultant penalty Gavin Dissel added three points.

Following a Carnoustie line-out, the students put the ball through the hands, and made a clean break down the wing, for a try, which they were unable to convert. Fielding the restart, the homesters broke the first line of defence, and gained a penalty, which they converted. From a line-out they kicked through, and followed up to touch down.

Half-time: Stirling 30, Carnoustie 6.

Carnoustie started the second half and Stirling set up a series of drives, tapped a penalty and drove again but with the line in their sights, went accidentally offside. From the scrum, the students kicked into space, followed up quickly, and won the race to touch down with full points added.

FPs restarted, and Stirling drove gaining a penalty, which was kicked to touch. The line-out was won and a clean break made down the wing, to touch down and add full points.

The visitors restarted, and from a scrum, they turned the ball over for the students to again kick along the ground and follow up to touch down and convert for another seven points. The restart was short but FPs knocked on. Stirling won the scrum and broke cleanly down the wing for a further seven points.

From the restart, the visitors pressed forward, setting up a series of drives and maintaining a strong attacking position, ultimately finding space to allow Gavin Dissel to touch down and add the conversion, with the last kick of the game.

Team: Nicholson, Findlay, McNichol, Shepherd, Bowles, Rankin, Jeffrey, Dawson, Paterson, Hall, Dissel, Millar, Cowan, Addison, McCallum, Christie, Reid, Coates, Cook, Downie and Morton.