Students too strong for young FPs side

St Andrews University 36, Carnoustie HSFP 15

CARNOUSTIE travelled to St Andrews University for the first time for many years to open their league fixtures.

The visitors kicked off but the ball went out on the full. From the line-out the students flung the ball left and then right before the forwards took over, but Carnoustie forced a knock-on and cleared upfield from the scrum. The home team took a quick throw from the line-out sending the ball fast to the winger who broke clear on the touchline to touchdown but with no conversion.

From scrum ball, the visitors were able to clear and then stole the throw at the line out.

The students again came forward before chipping ahead but Dean Nicholson collected and broke upfield before kicking and following up, forcing a hurried clearance. With good position Carnoustie won the line-out and gained a penalty which Chris Rankin converted.

The restart went out on the full. The visitors won the scrum and again kicked with the ball. Then, from a subsequent scrum, the home team sent the ball wide before chipping into space and getting the run of the green to hack on and win the race to touch down, but again missing the conversion.

The restart was fielded by the students, sent wide left, recycled and sent wide right with the winger put in space to touch down at the posts for a full seven points.

From the restart Carnoustie gained a foothold in the home half and from a scrum set up several drives, winning a penalty to gain a line out at the five-meter line. The line out was won with several drives set up close to the line allowing Gavin Dissel to dive over and convert his try.

From the restart, Jonny Christie drove forward with the ball recycled to the backs but the kick failed to find touch. The ball was run back at pace, the defence was penetrated, and another seven points were put on the board.

The homesters restarted the game after the interval. FPs fielded and Steven Connolly and Tom Hall carried the ball upfield to gain a penalty from which touch was found. The line out was won and the ball driven but a penalty was conceded.

Again Steven Connolly and Tome Hall carried the ball upfield before setting up drives and gaining a penalty. From the line-out, further drives were set up before a penalty was conceded. The forwards were now on a roll setting up a series of short breaks combined with solid drives to make 60 yards upfield.

Heartened by this success a further series of drives was set up ending with Jonny Christie forcing his way over the line but with no extra points being added.

The restart was knocked on by Carnoustie giving the home side good field position and from a subsequent line out the student backs broke at pace to touch down and add full points.

From the restart the students broke upfield at pace but Tome Hall made a solid tackle to kill the move. A further break was only stopped five metres short of the try line. From the subsequent scrum the visitors failed to find touch and the ball was run back with the home side crossing wide out.

This was a difficult game for a young side but they gave a good account of themselves. Fitness is good and the players work well for each other.

Team: Coates, Nicholson, Burwood, Rankin, Bowles, Shepherd, Jeffrey, Dawson, Murray, Hall, Cowan, Dissel, Connolly, Millar, A. Macdonald, Beattie, Morton, M. MacDonald, Christie, Downie, Cook and Reid.


Tomorrow (Saturday) FPs are at home to Grangemouth with a 3 p.m. kick-off at Carnoustie High School.

The 2nd XV will be at Panmure, also with a 3 p.m. kick-off.