THE ORGANISERS of this year’s Carnoustie Bonfire Night event are hoping for a good turnout to mark 30 years of festive firestarting.
Carnoustie Coastguards have been organising the Bonfire Night fireworks display since 1982 and it has become a popular must-see event in the town’s social calendar.
This year’s bonfire will be held on Saturday, November 3, at the Black Slab car park at the beachfront.
Station officer Lindsay Martin said: “This is our 30th year of doing the bonfire. The fire will be lit at 6.45 p.m. this year, but the fireworks won’t go off until 7 p.m.”
The traditional Torchlight Parade will help set the scene when it finishes at the Black Slab car park as the bonfire is lit.
The parade will depart from Woodlands Primary School at 6.30 p.m. and will be led by the Carnoustie and District Pipe Band and the Arbroath branch of the Royal British Legion Pipe Band.
Lindsay added: “We will hopefully be able to get some people from the Torchlight Parade to help with the bucket collections at the bonfire afterwards.”
The signs are good for a spectacular display according to Lindsay.
He said: “We have an extremely large display of fireworks this year and a really huge bonfire.
“It is expensive to run and it is funded entirely through the generosity of the public who attend. We do not get any funding at all for it. All depends on getting a donation in the bucket to help this event every year.
“We had about a normal sized crowd last year but this year we’ve dug into the funds raised from previous years to go a wee bit bigger this time around.
“We’ve also had a donation from the Gala Committee which helped.”
Lindsay is hopeful that Carnoustie people will continue to be as generous as they have been in the past and fill the collection buckets carried by Carnoustie Coastguard Association members and other volunteers.
He went on: “It would be good if everyone just gave a wee bit on the night to keep this event going. It’s a huge event for Carnoustie and brings folk into the town.
“I hope that this year is every bit as successful as it has been in the past.”
Local publican Jonathon McInally of the Kinloch Arms Hotel will also be doing his bit to help this year with a little fund-raising of his own.
The Kinloch will be providing tea, coffee and stovies for a donation after the event until around 9 p.m.
He said: “The Bonfire and Fireworks Display is a great thing for Carnoustie, so starting to fund-raise for next year while it is still fresh in everybody’s mind is a good idea.
“I suggested that people come back for free stovies, coffee and tea and make a donation for next year’s bonfire.
“Lindsay Martin was telling me the bonfire night runs into thousands of pounds and it’s all donations, I thought it would good to make sure next year’s bonfire is set.”